Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dilema !! mid arm machine >

dilema !! mid arm machine

dilema !! mid arm machine

Old 09-10-2019, 07:52 AM

Default dilema !! mid arm machine

interested in buying a mid arm machine.

The Grace website raves about their Q'nique, but it's got some pretty ugly reviews on Amazon.

so I heard mention of the Block Rokit on Kathy's website it has awesome reviews, but they are basically the same machine.

what do I do?
Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 AM

If you have a chance to go into a LQS or to a Quilt Expo in your area those can be your best bet to look around for a mid arm machine and see the pros and cons. Both of these machines are Grace products. I would also suggest if you are looking for a mid arm there is also the Baily that is a nice mid arm and not in the high cost end of things.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:55 AM

I've never heard of this brand,

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-10-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 AM

No need to shout.

If you are looking for a mid arm machine 14-16 inches, as Juliasb, suggests, your best bet is to go to a show and try them out.

You also need to think about what size of quilts you make and whether or not you want a full frame, a small (Little Foot type) frame or sit down machine. Again going to a show will help you to decide.

What size blocks do you generally use in your quilts?

Do you want to do free motion, e2e, Pantos, or computer guided quilting?

What is your budget?

Where in your community can you go for servicing?

I looked at the machines you mention, the Block Rokit and Qnique at a show, where I also tried out all the other major brands of LA machine. I considered them briefly, but then decided I could get more machine, for less money by buying a used machine.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Klermont View Post
I've never heard of this brand,
Check out Leah Day.com. She has a whole bunch of info on the q’nique

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-10-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 PM

The brother dream quilter, block rocking and qnique are all made by grace company. I haven't met anyone that doesn't like their qnique yet. You are limited to 15inches so keep that in mind. Some joanns carry them to test drive and rent time on
Old 09-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
The brother dream quilter, block rocking and qnique are all made by grace company. I haven't met anyone that doesn't like their qnique yet. You are limited to 15inches so keep that in mind. Some joanns carry them to test drive and rent time on
I had a suspicion that the Brother and q’nique were made by the same company because comparing pictures of them they look identical. But I didn’t know Grace actually made machines or the same company makes them and labels them differently.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:39 PM

I have had my Block RockIt since they first came out--my first machine was replaced shortly after receiving it with no questions because of problems. Didn't bother me because I know the first models of things can have problems. I've never had a problem with the replacement and it seems to take any thread I throw at it. If I had it to do over, I would go the same route. And Kathy Quilts (where I got mine from) and The Grace Company are fantastic to deal with--I can't say enough good things about them.

Last edited by Ginaky; 09-10-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM

I bought my 22” bailey home quilter on EBay for $900. That included shipping. I love love love it. It’s actually my 2nd Bailey. I also bought my first one on eBay. It was a 13”. I used it for about 5 years and then upgraded to the larger one.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:09 PM

I have a Q'nique 21 that I bought a year ago. At first it gave me some tension problems. I figured out that the bobbin case was not 'right', replaced it. No more problems. (Well, besides the occasional operator error!) It sews beautifully. I bought QCT4 Beginnings with it. Works well, although I would like more precise/verbose documentation.

I bought it from Allbrands in FL. Price was lower.