Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Buying thread online?????

I buy almost all my thread from Red Rock. Wide selection of Aurifil, which is my favorite. Very good service, have used them for years.

Superior is....superior. Go to their site and sign up for their newsletter and daily specials (if you wish). I use their So Fine for piecing. I buy it by the cone - 3,250 in the large cone. Never had any problems with the So Fine and my basics are white, cream, medium gray and black. I use the Bottom Line for hand work. Their newsletter has a lot of information and they are very informative about the application for each of their products as well as needle size. Guess you could say I am a Superior gal! And, no, I don't work for them.

I've ordered a lot from superior threads and they are great. Very fast! It helps,if you have the actual thread chart for the type of thread you want, because the computer screen colors can sometimes be inaccurate, although they generally have a verbal description.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hisgrace1 View Post
    I was under the impression you only use cotton for machine quilting.....so it's ok to use polyester also? Do you use different thread for piecing than you do for say stitching in the ditch, or free motion?

The quilters who do art quilts, applique, embroidery, thread painting, and machine quilting use anything and everything that will fit through their machines as thread. Even the thick ornate thread will fit in a bobbin, you hand wind it on the bobbin. For stitches to sink in the fabric you need a thin thread, for the stitches to stand out you need a thick thread. I have mixed nylon with rayon with poly with cotton with silk. There are no rules I follow when making a quilt.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    You may want to check with Superior about using Bottom Line for piecing as it tends to melt at high temperatures. You can see about this on their thread reference chart. They recommend (and I use) So Fine if you prefer polyester
    Oh my gosh, I did not know that! I always piece with Bottom Line. Ouch! Will switch to So Fine. How high is "high temperature." Thanks for sharing.
    Create with joy in your heart!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
    Oh my gosh, I did not know that! I always piece with Bottom Line. Ouch! Will switch to So Fine. How high is "high temperature." Thanks for sharing.
    As another poster said - test it. Stitch some Bottom Line on a scrap and iron it on the hottest setting. I've done this and not had a problem with any melting, so I continue to use Bottom Line for piecing.

I have not bought from either, but I look forward to receiving Superior's free newsletter. It always includes a joke. Although it is frequently a joke at the expense of women, it is almost always sidesplitting.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

I use Superior's Masterpiece thread for piecing. It's 50 wt cotton but not at all linty.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have ordered from both and no problems. Great thread from Superior. My favorite online shop to order thread is:

http://www.tristan.bc.ca/specials.html
    Tristan never has the color Aurifil threads that I'm looking for and finding anything on their site is a nightmare.

Blog Entries
    For those interested in Superior, they have extended their free DVD offer to December 11th. Here is a link to it:
    https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...hread-Seminar/

It's about 1.75 hours explaining a *lot* about different threads. Shipping cost is about $4, I think. (I got mine last month.)

It really is worth the shipping, IMO.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast