Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Buying fabric online....

  1. #1
    Super Member candi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE The Sunshine State
    Posts
    4,071
    Ok, so I buy everything online it seems. But I am clueless as to how buy fabrics online. Ebay? Specific sites? And how do you know the good from the bad, and how can you tell the exact color? Do you have favorite websites?
    I like going to the quilt shops to buy my fabric, and so far, I have been buying what I need for thte project I am working on. But I would like to start my collection of fabrics, and I would rather shop online for the convenience and prices.
    Any hints, tips and suggestions to this newbie are much appreciated :D



  2. #2
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    i also prefer to buy in person, but there are fewer and fewer LQS. so i buy online. i only buy from sites i know, like connecting threads or quilt in a day or thousands of bolts, etc. they have never let me down for quality. you have to decide what you need. some sites offer fats. i work like this: if i like it, i order 1 yd. if i love it, i order up to 3 yds. if my life will end without it, i order up to 5 yds. if i see something i love for a backing and the price is terrific, i buy 9 yds, for the back and maybe the binding. i buy on spec, so i only order on great sale, preferably clearance. that means i can't always get the amount i want. you have to decide wether or not to take what they have. i make large quilts, but you know what you need in size. many companies will take back if you're not satisfied, but you pay shipping on that.

    REMEMBER to watch out for the shipping. if you order only a small amount the shipping can be more than the fabric. that's why i only shop great sales. and when i do, i buy a lot. also, the fabrics are frequently discontinued, so don't count on getting any more later.

    look for a sale that offers "no shipping charge" and start there. pm me to let me know how it turns out.

  3. #3
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    by the way....... if you're ordering a lot on line, i hope you have a dedicated credit card. that way, it's easier to track what you're ordering and paying for. if there's a stolen i.d., it's much simpler to iron it out with the card company.

    please trust me on this. experience is the best teacher.

  4. #4
    Super Member Barbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    blink and you've missed it
    Posts
    2,611
    some sites have free shipping once you reach a certain level. I like connecting threads- their's is $50.00.

    usually, if you shopping for a particular project, it's not hard to get to the required level.


  5. #5
    Super Member Shorebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    1,496
    Blog Entries
    1
    You should also try Web Fabrics. Located in Purcellville, VA - they also have a brick and mortar store - but are the largest web dealer of Moda fabrics in the US.

    Everything is EXCELLENT quality.

    Site is:

    www.webfabrics.net

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita KS
    Posts
    753
    www.quiltshops.com is a great site

  7. #7
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    http://www.thecozyewe.com


    they are getting rid of all the fabric and keeping their yarn. today is the last day. check just in case. there is a wholesaler coming on the 15th to buy up everything left over.

    i believe everything is an additional something off. it should be 40% off the black price. if you have all-over calling, call and ask to see what's left before it's all gone.

    i spent $128.00+. that's 60% off what it would have been, which was originally lower price than msr.

  8. #8
    Senior Member AkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    739
    I too, just ordered online for the 1st time. I spent a couple days just visiting various sites, some I'd heard of some not.
    I made an order from RossvilleQuilts.com and I must say I am very pleased.
    Marsha the owner was very friendly and helpful when I talked to her on the phone and she even phoned me back the following day to answer some questions and take information when I had e-mailed her.
    My order came within a week and everything is beautiful and the shipping was very reasonable.
    I currently have another order placed with Lil Country Shoppe, I will let you know when it comes if that one has been as wonderful.
    Muriel
    aka: Ak Angel

  9. #9
    Member desertdebbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marana, Arizona
    Posts
    88
    One of my favorite stores online to buy fabric is: www.thousandsofbolts.com
    Their fabric quality is fantastic, shipping is very reasonable and quick. The fabric has always been more beautiful then the images online. I have never been even slightly disappointed with them.

    I have also gotten lots of fabric on Ebay. Some is good but the majority was not. After purchasing pieces that had faded in spots, been cut irregularly and smelled terribly of tobacco I stick to what I know is good.

    Give Thousands of bolts a try, I think you'll be very happy.
    I am not affiliated with them at all but feel it is important to share the name
    of an online company that actually sells top quality fabrics and has great customer service too.


  10. #10
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    I love Connecting Threads.

    www.connectingthreads.com


  11. #11
    Super Member mpeters1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,624
    Connecting Threads and Thousands of Bolts I've heard of....all good that I heard too. I recently bought from my first online store too. I really liked the price as I got it on sale for 3.99 a yard. The quality was amazing and the shipping wasn't too horrible. Everyone else is right, pay attention to the shipping rates. I was very pleased with my fabric and the service I got.

    www.bearpawquilting.com

    Melissa

  12. #12
    Super Member mpeters1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,624
    Connecting Threads and Thousands of Bolts I've heard of....all good that I heard too. I recently bought from my first online store too. I really liked the price as I got it on sale for 3.99 a yard. The quality was amazing and the shipping wasn't too horrible. Everyone else is right, pay attention to the shipping rates. I was very pleased with my fabric and the service I got.

    www.bearpawquilting.com

    Melissa

  13. #13
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    i've mostly stayed with webstores i know, but sometimes when you place an order, the fabrics you choose are meant to co-ordinate. if they run out of one, they will automatically send the other, even if you don't want it by itself. it's always best to make that clear in the comment box or by email or phone.
    also, always ask if this is the end-of-bolt. if it is, you can often get it for less. if you buy a lot (over $50 - $100 depending on the store) they will drop the shipping charges. if they don't advertise that, ask. they mostly will.

    they are almost all friendly and cooperative and helpful. if you find one that isn't, lose them. there are too many others that are wonderful.

  14. #14
    Super Member purplemem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Misssissippi
    Posts
    3,303
    Blog Entries
    1
    I buy almost all my fabrics online, but I am on an extreme budget. I usually buy from www.NixieChicks.com. They have a small selection but great prices, and their marbles are only $3.99 yd. They have free shipping for orders over $25. This is a mother/daughter enterprise and they are just fantastic about their shipping, etc. I always receive my order within 2-3 days of ordering.

  15. #15
    Power Poster SulaBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in SANTA Land.
    Posts
    10,134
    Blog Entries
    1
    When I buy my fabric online, I generally go to a well know name site & look at theirs. You can generally find a good sale. I have bought on eBay if it's something that I just can't find otherwise. So far, I have had very good luck. Hope you do too.

  16. #16
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    http://www.thecozyewe.com


    they are getting rid of all the fabric and keeping their yarn. today is the last day. check just in case. there is a wholesaler coming on the 15th to buy up everything left over.

    i believe everything is an additional something off. it should be 40% off the black price. if you have all-over calling, call and ask to see what's left before it's all gone.

    i spent $128.00+. that's 60% off what it would have been, which was originally lower price than msr.
    sorry. today, the 15th, is the lsat day. the buy-out man is coming today.

    i'm in nj so they are three hours behind me. please don't let this one go by without looking at the fabrics.

  17. #17
    Super Member candi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE The Sunshine State
    Posts
    4,071
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    http://www.thecozyewe.com


    they are getting rid of all the fabric and keeping their yarn. today is the last day. check just in case. there is a wholesaler coming on the 15th to buy up everything left over.

    i believe everything is an additional something off. it should be 40% off the black price. if you have all-over calling, call and ask to see what's left before it's all gone.

    i spent $128.00+. that's 60% off what it would have been, which was originally lower price than msr.
    sorry. today, the 15th, is the lsat day. the buy-out man is coming today.

    i'm in nj so they are three hours behind me. please don't let this one go by without looking at the fabrics.
    Thanks all. I am checking the website right now!

  18. #18
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,161
    Blog Entries
    1
    I haven't done a lot of online fabric shopping but recently got some great fabric from Fabric Shack. It was to match some fat quarters that I picked up a while back and could never find anything to go with it. They had the same line of fabric at a good price so now I have what I need for borders and backing. Choosing specific colors is a problem unless you're buying from a matching line.

    I've got some good stuff on Ebay but also some not so good. You never know. I've got jelly rolls and charm squares but you can't really tell what you're getting even pattern and colorwise because the pictures are a "representation of the type of fabrics" included. They'll work for the scrappy quilts I've planned. Now I'm sticking to stores that are recommended on the various forums I frequent.

  19. #19
    Super Member candi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE The Sunshine State
    Posts
    4,071
    Quote Originally Posted by candi
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    http://www.thecozyewe.com


    they are getting rid of all the fabric and keeping their yarn. today is the last day. check just in case. there is a wholesaler coming on the 15th to buy up everything left over.

    i believe everything is an additional something off. it should be 40% off the black price. if you have all-over calling, call and ask to see what's left before it's all gone.

    i spent $128.00+. that's 60% off what it would have been, which was originally lower price than msr.
    sorry. today, the 15th, is the lsat day. the buy-out man is coming today.

    i'm in nj so they are three hours behind me. please don't let this one go by without looking at the fabrics.
    Thanks all. I am checking the website right now!

    Well, I have just officaly made my first fabric online purchase! This was a great deal, and I was wanting many of the colors of fabrics they have. I hope it is good quality. Can't wait to get my stuff!!! :D Thanks butterflywing.
    And thanks all for the great suggestions, they are all bookmarked.

  20. #20
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    i don't think you'll be dissapointed. and did you notice that when you buy online there is no sales tax?

    i recognize some of that fabric and i originally passed on it at other websites because it's against my beliefs to spend retail. for anything. this was so much lower that i had to buy. also i live in new jersey, the clearance capital of the western world. that encourages me to be even more frugal.

    please let me know if you're happy with your purchase.

  21. #21
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    My favorite online quilt shops are Fat Quarter Quilters, Fat Quarter Shop, Keepsake Quilting and Connecting Threads. I prefer to shop locally, (it's a tactile thing!!) but when I cannot find what I want, I love to shop online.

  22. #22
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    My favorite online quilt shops are Fat Quarter Quilters, Fat Quarter Shop, Keepsake Quilting and Connecting Threads. I prefer to shop locally, (it's a tactile thing!!) but when I cannot find what I want, I love to shop online.
    I have been drooling over the Keepsake Quilting catalog the last few days. :mrgreen:

  23. #23
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    i just hit NixieChicks. i'm way out of control! :oops:

  24. #24
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by henryparrish76
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    My favorite online quilt shops are Fat Quarter Quilters, Fat Quarter Shop, Keepsake Quilting and Connecting Threads. I prefer to shop locally, (it's a tactile thing!!) but when I cannot find what I want, I love to shop online.
    I have been drooling over the Keepsake Quilting catalog the last few days. :mrgreen:
    I just got mine too---yum!!!!

  25. #25
    Super Member mar32428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Winter PArk, Florida
    Posts
    1,146
    There is an excellent online shop called LUANNA RUBIN. They have everything you could want, catagorized and the color swatches are very good. She only sells online. Another great source is KEEPSAKE QUILTING. You can reach both with a dot com. Keepsake also has a catalog.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.