Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Camo Fabric, for Soldier's Quilt >

Camo Fabric, for Soldier's Quilt

Camo Fabric, for Soldier's Quilt

Old 09-12-2015, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the responses and ideas, everyone. I truly appreciate you taking time to offer advice/suggestions.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:44 PM

I used to write to soldiers and send care packages. The women always appreciated the "girly" touches I sent, the colorful things, as it added cheer and homeyness. A patriotic quilt would be a great choice even for a non-girly-girl female soldier, if that's how she might describe herself.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:20 PM

My daughter is in the Army....agree with the red, white, blue. Because they are surrounded with the Army colors they miss the other colors. I made a flag quilt that was rag style...she loved it!
Old 09-13-2015, 03:27 AM

Check also at Army Navy stores or survival places. They usually have all kinds of extra uniforms that would give you the actual fabric.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:00 AM

I am not an expert but I would be truly surprised if a soldier would be allowed to take this kind of personal item with them. If she is living is camo, she might enjoy something that was not like her everyday uniform. It could be a moment to just relax and to be her. A moment to step away from "work" in other words. Check with your sponsoring organization for clarity on this. They will know what is allowed and what pleases their soldiers.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:06 AM

If she is in Kuwait, unless conditions have changed, it is likely she is in a "barracks/trailer" type situation and is unlikely to be in what most consider "in the field". Most "camo" fabric that you can purchase is ripstop or poplin. Not really suitable for quilts. Reconstructing army uniforms may work on some projects but really too heavy for quilts, think heavy, heavy denim. Most I have "adopted" and my own grandson (Proud Marine Grandma!) really like things that are not "military" or "desert" when away from home.

If you have contact, many have e-mail, ask her. Female military personnel, like to be reminded they are girls too. I have been adopting thru soldiersangels.org for almost 9 years.

This is the correct camo, remember it is 60" wide. https://www.lurasfabricshop.com/acu-...c-camo333.html

Last edited by AZ Jane; 09-13-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:28 AM

you could always go to an Army-Navy store and buy some shirts. Go Bonnie Hunter style.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:35 AM

Please note that these pieces of material advertised on eBay are not sold by the yard.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM

My son has been deployed to both Iraq and Kuwait. I agree that, in Kuwait, she would appreciate something more personalized than camo. She is in a place where she can use it and has more space than someone deployed to a war zone (Iraq or Afghanistan). In war zones, the guys I know didn't want anything extra to keep up with. My son actually became somewhat of a minimalist when he was in Iraq. He said that he carried nothing with him except ammo and what little food/water he needed - mostly ammo! He is a medic so he also had to carry medical supplies.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:19 AM

My son is in the Army, and was stationed overseas for a while. He preferred brighter colors since he had to see the same camo colors on a constant basis. He stated something with colors, to remind him of home, was something he would treasure forever. He was surrounded by dust, sand, browns - asked me to avoid those colors.