Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ever use camo fabric for a quilt?

Ever use camo fabric for a quilt?

Hi, my grandson wants a quilt using camo fabric. I'm at a loss as to a pattern to use. What do you do with camo????

Blog Entries
    I have made 2 and they were baby blankets. A friend in the mountains wanted one camo, I used a leaf camo.
    The other side I used a autum scene with deer and a cabin in it. I could not make it in a true quilted fashion.
    He wanted it just fabric to, as he said no cutting it up. I used 1 & 1/2 yards each side for blanket, heavy batting
    in the center and embroidery thread to tack it. The other was made the same only the material was camo on
    one side and blue flames & motor cylces. He said they are very care friendly and washable, something for them
    grow up with.

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Camo could be a great quilt fabric for a young man. Use it like you would a floral piece of fabric. Obtain harmonious shades of fabric and pick a pattern and get sewing. If nothing else a simple nine patch would be fantastic.
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

Yes, my grandson requested camo, too.
    There are a lot of different patterns in camo...so perhaps you can chose something pleasant. I happened to get a fabric wi camel, black and two shades of green, in blobs. Not the prettiest. He likes it. I had some black, and the golden camel color...... got a neutral with small green leaves and a darker green plaid. I arranged the stripes around a square of either gold or black. Half of the blocks had black as the last go 'round. I alternated the black edged blocks with the other varied colors. I set it on point. It will have a innerborder of black and a WIDE outer border of the camo.....I really don't want any leftovers. Hoping to take it to the quilter soon.

Blog Entries
    Made a card table playhouse cover out of the camo that is cut like leaves. Very cute for boys. Will use the left overs with machine appliqued wild animals.
    Debbie
    Machine It

I have a niece that wants a purse made out of camo.

Power Poster
    You could put camo fabric in the search box and you may find some examples. I know kathy posted a great one under the title........ Real tree baby quilt. There are other examples too but I can't remember the titles.

When my son was a teen I made him one. No cutting. Both sides camo. Then I stitched thru all to make rows about 6 inches wide and the whole length of the quilt. He is 33 and still uses it.
    Lenette

I bought camo fabric, and other out doorsy type like tree, leaves etc.. then I did a D9P and used the camo as the main piece not getting cut up. I wish I would have taken a pic, because it turned out so awesome.
    Faye

Be thankful he only wants a camo quilt. My son painted his bedroom camo!!!! He loved it. That room is now a soft calming blue sewing room for me!

I made 2 from camo i used the D9P and l picked other colors plus found a fabric with deer. Fussy cut them If u like I can try to post it and let you see how it turned out.

I had several different kinds of camo fabric, including the newer pixilated kind. These were scraps and FQs. I strip pieced them into rail fence blocks to use in my Marines quilt I will be finishing up after the one I am working on now. I really like how they came out.
    Name:  camo rail fence.jpg
Views: 4684
Size:  231.7 KB
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I used it for a young man graduating from high school who was going into the army. I combined it with all the army symbols, phrases, pictures of tanks, etc. He loved it -- his mom cried. Guess it made her realize he was now a grown man.

I use it in combo with guy prints, usually army as my son is in the army national guard.

The first quilt pictured in the link is the camo quilt. It has army emblems, army pillow panel and tank fabric. Plain army green camo is on the back. Sorry I have no picture of that.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t118748.html
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 01-25-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Anna Quilts

Very nice wildyard!

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I had several different kinds of camo fabric, including the newer pixilated kind. These were scraps and FQs. I strip pieced them into rail fence blocks to use in my Marines quilt I will be finishing up after the one I am working on now. I really like how they came out.
    Name:  camo rail fence.jpg
Views: 4684
Size:  231.7 KB
    Anna Quilts

Several years ago I made a maple leaf quilt with the leaves using various colors and the background was a camo (the kind with leaves and tree bark). It was made from flannels...the hunt club by husband belongs to, sold tickets for it and made some money from it....

I started one for DH. I had squares from the cami scrubs. (In santee california they make scrubs and sell the scrapes in 10 ib bags for 10 dollars. They come in squares and strips already cut and is really nice material.) Any way I made them into a attice window pattern with black stripes I had from them too when i get it done i want to put all of my DH patches from the military he has in them That is as far as I I have planned so far.I'll see what the quilt tells me to do then.

Finishing one now for a baby. Real Tree fabric with coordinating green and tan. Mom wanted a little blue added for the boy. I did a D9P with the camo and green. sashed with the tan and the blue is the locking blocks. Blue for the immediate border and camo to finish up the borders.

I made one for my adopted Coast Guard son. He loves to fish and it worked great with the fishing theme I did. Ill see if I can find a pic and post it.

Blog Entries
    Annevc, I am glad you started this thread, I have to make a quilt for my GS, need all the ideas I can get.
    Jessie

I got camo fabric from Joann's. Made a simple square in a square adding some dark green and brown. Incorporated some of his hunting pictures and backed it with a brown fleece that had pine cones and branches on it. He loved it.

Banned
    I have had a lot of fun with using camo fabric. Get one focus piece and combine it with complimentary patterns and colors. Anything nature works. I have also used small checks in complimentary colors as well as plaids.
    The most fun has been using a Alexandra Henry "Camaflague Ladies" fabric in a quilt. Probably strictly adult.
    It is the black sillioute of an unclothed lady sitting. You have probably seen it as a bumper sticker on a pickup.
    You don't have to be fancy with the patterns. I have one version that it is just strips sewed together on the diagonal and then used what was left over from trimming for another quilt.
    Oh well, I could go on and on.

I made my son a Trip Around the World camo quilt. I took 5 different fabrics depicting his interests and it turned out great. I made my daughter in law a snow camo bow tucks bag.

Husbands Camo Throw Quilt

HI! This is a"Trip around the World" quilt...I'm a 'new' quilter, and had made for all my children(6)..then my husband began to cry ..everyone had a quilt but him! So, since I'm kept warm with hot flashes, he needs a little something to keep warm watching TV...I gathered all my pieces that resembled camo, camo colors..and made a 'Trip around the World' !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've done one and did the Rail Fence and it turned out really cute. Unfortunately I do not have a photo to show.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast