Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever use camo fabric for a quilt? >

Ever use camo fabric for a quilt?

Ever use camo fabric for a quilt?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM

I am in the process of making my grandson a military-themed quilt. He is 10 years old and I took him to fabric stores because he wanted to help me pick out the fabric. I'm using a 9 patch pattern. I use red fabric with stars and white fabric for the 9 patch and focus fabric of the four branches of military service. He chose the tan and brown camo fabric for the inner border. I have blue fabric with Navy and Air Force service logos and red fabric with Army and Marines logos which will be used for the outer borders (sides, top, and bottom. I'm not sure what I will put between the camo and the outer border yet. The quilt is coming together nicely. I'll put a picture up as soon as I get the camo fabric on so you can see what it will look like.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Default TATW Pattern

A.E. Nathan Fabrics web site has a TATW pattern that is super simple and easy to follow. It is called Porcelain Trip Around the World.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 PM

I recently made a charity quilt using camo. The charity, Quilts for Kids, stated that they had a need for quilts for older boys. So I bought some camo fabric, an autumn scene, and wildlife fabric (faces of wolves, moose, raccoon). I cut the fabric into large squares because I figured if a teenage boy liked camping, hunting, or fishing, he'd want to see good-sized scenes of the fabric, not little pieces. I used a handspun plaid (I think that's what it's called) for the backing and when I was done, I realized that the plaid reminded me of the fabric used on the inside of sleeping bags. Of course, it's been forty years since I was a Boy Scout and had a sleeping bag - I don't know what fabric is used nowadays. Here's a photo of it.

Oh, the quilt underneath was made by my wife.

Tate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306450[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails outdoors1a.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM

I did a card trick quilt using cammo fabric with a green a brownish that picked up on the colors in the cammo. I then machine tacked it. This is the third quilt I have made him for his room, he changes decor a lot. Unusual for a boy. He also painted one wall cammo and has a tank on the wall. Hope he grows out of this before he's 18.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone for all your help.