Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I use old folded interfacing? >

Can I use old folded interfacing?

Can I use old folded interfacing?

Old 05-25-2015, 04:50 AM

Default Can I use old folded interfacing?

I've come into some old interfacing. There's no writing on it so I can't tell exactly what type it is. There is another smaller batch labeled "pellon featherweight". The folded batch is a bit stiffer but not too much.

It's been folded up for a while so it has pretty good creases in it. Can this stuff be ironed? Can I (or should I) wash it?

Thanks!!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:24 AM

A lot depends on if it is an iron on -interfacing. Check for little dots or a shine on one side. You can also take a small piece and iron it to a piece of fabric.... but make sure to use another scrap of fabric between the interfacing and the iron so if its Iron -on and you have it the wrong way it will not be stick to your iron.
If it is iron on use the steam setting on your iron..... and just hover it over the interfacing letting the steam relax the crease. If its not iron on you can do the same , or reduce the iron temp lower and iron the interfacing directly. Most interfacings have a large poly content so direct contact with the iron at a high cotton setting will melt the interfacing.
An interesting note.... Pellon makes craft interfacing and garment interfacing... the biggest difference is the craft interfacing has a rayon content and will shrink.

Last edited by Lori S; 05-25-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:31 AM

Thanks Lori. It's not iron on. I will try to iron a bit of it. If it comes out ok, then I may as well store it all folded up and iron it as needed. I don't use interfacing (yet...) but I know enough not to discard something that may come in handy someday.

Regarding the craft vs garment interfacing. I guess if I use the craft one in a garment, I may have unwanted shrinkage when I wash my garment. Perhaps I should take a scrap of this and create a small item and then wash it to see what happens. Thanks for that bit of useful information.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

This is how I would do it. If I'm not sure how a piece of fabric, interfacing will react to an iron, I always use an ironing cloth like an old piece of muslin or even sheet or pillow case. That way you haven't ruined anything of value.
Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
i
A lot depends on if it is an iron on -interfacing. Check for little dots or a shine on one side. You can also take a small piece and iron it to a piece of fabric.... but make sure to use another scrap of fabric between the interfacing and the iron so if its Iron -on and you have it the wrong way it will not be stick to your iron.
If it is iron on use the steam setting on your iron..... and just hover it over the interfacing letting the steam relax the crease. If its not iron on you can do the same , or reduce the iron temp lower and iron the interfacing directly. Most interfacings have a large poly content so direct contact with the iron at a high cotton setting will melt the interfacing.
An interesting note.... Pellon makes craft interfacing and garment interfacing... the biggest difference is the craft interfacing has a rayon content and will shrink.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I own a bolt of fusible Pellon lightweight interfacing for doing t-shirt quilts. The non fusible I thought was more used in clothing constructions such as collars and stuff. It should be fine. My bolt is probably over 20 years old and the fusible still works.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I have come across pieces of interfacing from estate sales and not sure what they are if not in the package and then I still test it. I just cut a piece to test. I also run it under water to see how it reacts. After I come to realize what kind it is, I label the package it came in if it's different or just put it into a different container (bag or covered plastic) and label it.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the help. I know nothing about interfacing. So tessagin - you said you run tests. You said you run it under water - what will that tell you? What kinds of tests can I run and what will the results tell me? I can certainly do these tests and label what I have, it sounds like a great idea.

Sorry if I am asking for too much.....
Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Thanks for the help. I know nothing about interfacing. So tessagin - you said you run tests. You said you run it under water - what will that tell you? What kinds of tests can I run and what will the results tell me? I can certainly do these tests and label what I have, it sounds like a great idea.

Sorry if I am asking for too much.....
KenmoreGal2, thank YOU for asking these questions! I, too, have older interfacing, and I never thought to ask what you have. One is never too old too learn! And thank you to the ladies who have responded. I don't check into this site as frequently as I'd like, but I always learn something!