Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I Wait to Wash Black and White Quilt Fabric >

Can I Wait to Wash Black and White Quilt Fabric

Can I Wait to Wash Black and White Quilt Fabric

Old 03-10-2015, 10:56 AM

Default Can I Wait to Wash Black and White Quilt Fabric

I usually pre-wash my fabric, but then the quilts do not shrink and crinkle very much. I really like the crinkly look so I'm debating not prewashing this time. I use Warm and Natural batting.

I'm going to make a bed size quilt of blocks with blacks, gray and whites. I've bought different yardage and a layer cake from different sources. So far, none of it stinks or has excess chemicals in it that is detectable by smell. It's all new fabric though so I'm sure it has some.

I would like to wait to wash it till I'm done quilting it, but then I'm afraid the whites will get dark or even turn gray.

Has anyone washed a completed Black and White quilt safely, with color catchers?

If I DO pre-wash the fabric and do not dry it will I still get the desired shrinking when the quilt is complete?

What if I wash just the blacks?

If I do wash will I get enough of the loose dye out if I just use cold water?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 AM

Hmm interesting timing I am currently sitting in the laundry mat washing my most recent finishes. One of them is black white red and gray a mix of batiks and non batiks none of it prewashed. I used a washer that holds 3 loads and 3color catchers. I did run it through 2 cycles because after the first one the white looked a bit dull but no worries the second wash took care of it
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Test your fabrics for bleeding; wet a white cotton towel and rub it on the fabrics. If it stays white, you're good.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I would pre-wash. Who wants to sit and wonder and worry. Get the pre-washing done and over with. I wash it all in the hottest water and hottest dryer. And spending time at the laundry mat. Had enough of those days!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:54 AM

I would pre wash, myself. I'm surprised, though, that you don't get the desired crinkling using W&N batting. I pre-wash everything but pre-cuts - which I rarely use - and always get the crinkle look when using W&N (always) batting. Are you pre-washing the batting?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I would prewash the black. You don't want your whites to look dingy after the first time you wash your quilt.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM

No I do not pre-wash the batting. It crinkles a little but not much. Maybe it's because they have a minimum of quilting on them so maybe there's nothing to crinkle around?

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I would pre wash, myself. I'm surprised, though, that you don't get the desired crinkling using W&N batting. I pre-wash everything but pre-cuts - which I rarely use - and always get the crinkle look when using W&N (always) batting. Are you pre-washing the batting?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I would pre-wash. Who wants to sit and wonder and worry. Get the pre-washing done and over with. I wash it all in the hottest water and hottest dryer. And spending time at the laundry mat. Had enough of those days!
90 minutes out if my day to wash 8 queen sized quilts not a bad use of my time.

Me I am an avid non prewasher I think it is a useless step of the process. Others are just the opposite. Yes my color catchers are as discolored as they get they did their job and caught all those floating colors, my quilts are fine no bleeding into the other fabrics no dingy whites no problems.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM

I have never pre-washed, and have never had any problems ... and I use ALL kinds of colours LOL
Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM

I have done a few bwr quilts(one of my favorites) without pre-washing. Just washed them with color catchers when finished with no problems. Good luck!