Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can this pattern be made into a quilt? >

can this pattern be made into a quilt?

can this pattern be made into a quilt?

Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Default can this pattern be made into a quilt?

I saw this design at a local home improvement store and thought what a wonderful design for a quilt. Any suggestions of how to go about it?? The design in the photo is made of tiles.
Attached Thumbnails tiles.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM

i think so, but i am no pattern drafting expert. i would probably begin by breaking it down into symmetrical parts, then trying to figure out how each element can be sewn into a round.

i am thinking of the diamonds that make a lone star you know?

good luck! i am sure someone will be along shortly with far more help than i can offer

aileen
Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Banned

Yes it can with something to draw the circle - a yard stick with holes in it. A compass to get the angles. When it is accurate then cut and make templates for the individual pieces and then add seam allowances. You only need to do 1/4 of the design to have the pattern. Just takes come accuracy in drawing the angles.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:31 PM

It's a lone star in the middle and the outer border is a carpenters wheel. The center bits with the rectangles and squares will be the more difficult part - because they're not rectangles and squares!

You can work it up on graph paper with a protractor, or in EQ if you have it (there might even be a similar pattern in EQ7 ... not sure). The off-squares are very similar if not the same as the pieces that make up a Double Wedding Ring - so you could probably use that as a template and just re-size it to get the right math.

I'd work up 1/8 of the pattern, make templates, then just make 8 sets of the templates.

Or ... search the net ... it's quite possible it's been done already. I'd search for either lone star, carpenters star, or carpenters square.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Yes it can with something to draw the circle - a yard stick with holes in it. A compass to get the angles. When it is accurate then cut and make templates for the individual pieces and then add seam allowances. You only need to do 1/4 of the design to have the pattern. Just takes come accuracy in drawing the angles.
Hee hee ... we were answering the same thing at the same time.

Wouldn't she only need to make 1/8 of the pattern though?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:47 PM

1/8th of the pattern would work if you remember to reverse. I'm lousy at that mirror image stuff so I would draft 1/4 of the pattern. I believe one of the paper piecers (Karen Stone, Judy Niemeyer, Paula? Nadelstern) has a pattern similar to this. Drafting it out in radials like the Spicy Spiral Table runner might work better than rings if you simplify the design a little.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

It looks a lot like some of quilts in the Bella Bella book? I am not sure of the name but they are circular and very intricate but you can order paper piecing sheets to help.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning View Post
1/8th of the pattern would work if you remember to reverse. I'm lousy at that mirror image stuff so I would draft 1/4 of the pattern. I believe one of the paper piecers (Karen Stone, Judy Niemeyer, Paula? Nadelstern) has a pattern similar to this. Drafting it out in radials like the Spicy Spiral Table runner might work better than rings if you simplify the design a little.
I have one of the Nadelstern books, I'll look in it for ideas
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

yep, i have the Bella Bella book, quilts made from tile floor designs. someone could figure out that for you on EQ6 or 7. I don't have it. or you could do it on graf paper. you only need to do 1/4 of it, then repeat that when you make it up for the other three sections. lovely photo.
http://www.bellabellaquilts.com/home.html
http://www.bellabellaquilts.com/bella.html
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I think if you got a 10 degree ruler it would be pretty easy to draft it up and make. Especially if you just made the center le moyne star medallion and appliqued because the 10 degree ruler makes round quilts with the hole in the middle you applique over or leave open for tree skirts.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 05-19-2012 at 03:29 PM.