Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this be made into a quilt?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Can this be made into a quilt?

My son sent me this picture. I love it. I want to TRY to make a quilt like this. Is it possible without it being "oh so difficult" that I'd go nuts?
    Name:  382851_396913170391381_1700093279_n.jpg
Views: 5183
Size:  244.7 KB

I love how it spins!!!!
    It's crazy, I know, but I love it!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Wow , that would be a neat quilt.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Ummmm...without going nuts....short answer is a huge resounding NO!! But I say that looking at all the ovals of varying length and breadth that would have to be fashioned somehow . I know that there is a name for the figure represented, and I wonder if there is a simpler representation available.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Know I couldn't do it without going crazier!

oh it makes my eyes hurt...lol. My kids would love something like that. Anything is possible, but I don't think this one would be easy. I think a whole cloth and applique all the dots on would be the easiest. Go for it!!!
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think it would have to be appliqued. My son was home for Christmas and showed me this picture and said he would love a quilt made like this. I told him I couldn't do it and he said "Sure you can Mom" so I kind of want to try, but I think I would go bonkers doing applique even! I have to think about this. How much do I want him to love my quilting? Hmmmm.

What about making a copy, cut it into squares which you then print a color enlargement of each square. Then color print enlarged squares on fabric, and sew the fabric squares together.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think it could be done. The sanity issue is up for grabs. It seems like applique would be your best bet. The shading for the blues would be difficult for me......at least I think there are different shades. I get a little dizzy looking so I'm not certain.

Its a wicked optical illusion! I too love how it spins. I wonder if the same illusion can be caught with cloth? I think I would try it in say four blocks or six - repeat of the pattern is what I mean. I would be concerned that stretching the basic pattern would destroy the illusion. Just my thoughts.

Go for it Mom - you can do it
    Kookie (Patti)

It looks doable as an art quilt using fusible (such as wonder under). It would be very ambitious to attempt it as a bed quilt.

MTS
    Banned
    There's always the Spoonflower option.

http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/new?create=fabric

Blog Entries
    Teach that wicked minded kid to make his own quilt...there are limits,you know.

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    Teach that wicked minded kid to make his own quilt...there are limits,you know.
    Absolutely!

o my it appears to be moving......lol no not for me

My first thought is to look for circular fabric (or design yourself) and then do a bargello?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Yeah, I think it would have to be appliqued. My son was home for Christmas and showed me this picture and said he would love a quilt made like this. I told him I couldn't do it and he said "Sure you can Mom" so I kind of want to try, but I think I would go bonkers doing applique even! I have to think about this. How much do I want him to love my quilting? Hmmmm.

Maybe you do need to buy him a sewing machine of his own----------------and leave no forwarding address. Tee hee.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    If i had a choice between that design and jail, id pick...

The spoonflower option (getting fabric made in the pattern) seems like an interesting idea. Then quilt around each oval..still a lot of work, but not quite as crazy-making as doing it as an applique.

I love the movement illusion. That is way cool!

Alison

Blog Entries
    blow it up to the size you want- divide it into blocks- then work on it a block at a time- either with applique or fabric dyeing/painting techniques...if you break it down into sections it will not be quite as (overwhelming) crazy- looking at it a section at a time diminishes the illusionary properties that mess with your eyes/mind- so that you can work on it...it is FABULOUS!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Know any engineers? My brother would get a real kick out of designing something like this. But then guess who he would want to quilt it?
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Blog Entries
    I think it will be too overwhelming for me and my abilities. If I had one of those programs to make quilts, I might be able to somehow come up with something, but I don't think I can do much but applique. I might do a wall hanging. Thanks for the ideas. Never thought of applique or wall hanging until you all mentioned it. That is definitely do-able...harder than h**l, but do-able. He's going thru a really hard time right now, really hard, and this picture and the thought of a quilt was the only thing that cheered him up. He's 35 and I would never let him near my sewing machine. He does all my computer stuff for me. He's always "hooking us up" with great things. I'd like to put that smile back on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    What about making a copy, cut it into squares which you then print a color enlargement of each square. Then color print enlarged squares on fabric, and sew the fabric squares together.
    This would work & certainly would be easier than applique.

Well gosh ... I have no flipping idea if I could make that cause it won't stop spinning long enough to get a good look at it.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Haven't a clue how to do it but it would be so cool!!!!!

Because I have worked in graphics, my first thought was 1. find a copy store that has the big machines. 2. photo copy your picture as big as they can copy it and then cut and number the sections and re-enlarge them to either make a block or a bigger section. IN doing so you can also get the right sized for cutting either applique pattern or it will give you a clearer vision to make the pattern for the shape. Good luck. I really like that. Jacque

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast