Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can this be made into a quilt?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I sure hope you figure this out . It sure would be awesome.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

It would be a stunning quilt for you son. If I had time I would draft it up but so many irons in the fire right now and I may take off for warmer climates so have to get work done in the house and dentist before I can do anything.

Why don't you print the picture off onto some fabric, maybe 35-45 pictures on 8.5x11. I know this would be expensive but WOW what a quilt.

I love it! The picture and the fact that your son thinks " my mom can do anything." I say give it a shot. I guess you would start by making a bazillion ovals LOL
    Good luck and show us a pix when you get started.

Where Are those directions? I have kids who would love one.
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    Steady stitching I have that same quilt pinned on pintrest and the instructions bookmarked. I have looked at it several times. I am thinking about fabrics right now. I plan on starting it soon. It is mostly strip pieced.
    What if you did the quilt as a wall hanging. Print it out the size you want it(Kinkos is good for this). Then fuse the whole thing. It would be a lot of cutting but you would only have to quilt the wall hanging. This looks like something my nephew would ask for.

Sometimes you just need to say no. I have to enjoy making a quilt - it's a hobby not a job.

Oh my gosh, it moves for me too. Nothing I would attempt. What about copying the pattern onto fabric?

I think I saw a bargello quilt that was similar but it used squares.

It makes me think of Elizabeth Hartman's pattern Owl Eyes from her book on Modern Patchwork. That is an appliqué pattern.

I wouldn't even know how to begin to approach this, but will cheer you on if you take the challenge!

It would be very pretty if you could do it. I, on the other hand, would get seasick working on it. lol

Be sure to post a photo when you finish it.

I wonder also, if it would work with cloth. I think so. At the Houston Quilt Festival there was a quilt that had a bunch of us lined up staring at it. As you looked at it, first you would see one pattern, then suddenly you would see another. It was hard to take your eyes off it because you kept waiting for it to change. Movement is wonderful when looking at a quilt. Go for it and see what happens.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

This isn't the same, but it shows that something similar can be done!
    http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...r-piecing.html

No doubt do-able....but I think it would do your head in....not for this quilter

I love my eyes and want to keep them. If I did that, I would be as blind as a bat!

I think I might go blind if I were to tackle this one! good luck...please share your results!

I agree with Tammy - enlarge - then paint!! That might be the ONLY way without going completely nuts! Make sure you show us when completed! And you will HAVE to enter that in every quilt show around. Good luck.

You know what? You could either photo copy the photo onto quilt paper or send it a way to have it reproduced on material. Oops.... the photo may have a copy right! There are places where you can send in a photo or design and they will make your design into fabric.
    This one I must say would drive me crazy. I think just print this one out and frame it. No way you could make that into a quilt and not end up having us QB members come to visit you at the 'funny farm'!

I just looked up the artist on Google! All his work is very interesting Beau Deeley! Go look! Very unusual and very creative work....It is an original work...can't be copied.

Whoa that makes me dizzy LOL
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

If you use google images for "optical illusion quilts" some fabulous quilts come up. That tells me it can be done. Would require a lot of talent and patience to do it.

(Since it is someone else's work, it would be prudent to ask permission first.)

If you really want to drive yourself crazy, here is some info on the graphic your son chose. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus

Just for fun, is there an engineering school nearby? We have GA Tech here. I'd take it over to the University, go to the engineering dept and explain my predicament. I guarantee there will be either an engineering student or prof who would be interested in trying to draft this. And, to ease some of your son's pain, take him with you. This could be a marvelous project for you both!

Quote Originally Posted by A1penny View Post
    I just looked up the artist on Google! All his work is very interesting Beau Deeley! Go look! Very unusual and very creative work....It is an original work...can't be copied.
    The artist's work can't be copied but this is the inside view of a torus and that can copied...actually might be easier to make a variation with larger pieces.

Yes, it can. If you want to keep the center design-cut a big square-as is for a square quilt or a round for an applique. But, I would try Phillips FiberArts Triangles; but once you cut it its cut. So, I would sorta try to draw it out on paper or EQ7 to see which way you might possible do it. Any Fabric an be quilted; may not be that good but it can be. OR-just use it as whole cloth quilt--border it and back it and quilt it as is. Wow; Have Fun Playing with your fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    My son sent me this picture. I love it. I want to TRY to make a quilt like this. Is it possible without it being "oh so difficult" that I'd go nuts?
    Attachment 384699

I love how it spins!!!!
    It's crazy, I know, but I love it!
    Magic Stack and Whack would be perfect!!!
    ~don't fret if you don't have scraps~http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...ansport025.gif
    ~Happy Quilting Trails to You~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast