Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Can this be made into a quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
    Its a wicked optical illusion! I too love how it spins. I wonder if the same illusion can be caught with cloth? I think I would try it in say four blocks or six - repeat of the pattern is what I mean. I would be concerned that stretching the basic pattern would destroy the illusion. Just my thoughts.

Go for it Mom - you can do it
    How about trying it with shaded rectangles? It might produce a similar optical illusion.

Blog Entries
    gosh!! It is possible if you can get it to stay still long enough!! Whew! What an undertaking!! But, it would be totally awesome when you get done!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

An illusion quilt was made by one of our own........Quilterella

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t168787.html
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Go for it. I think the painting on a wholecloth sounds like the best shot. It looks amazing. I want to see it as you progress. Your son has faith in you and i'll bet you can do it. It is an awesome picture. The dimension i thin would be the hardest part. It might take a while but i think it would be worthy of a challenge. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Shirley
    www.forget-me-notcreations.com
    May you always have love to share
    Health to spare &
    Friends who care.

brainstorming

I do enjoy the creativity of this brain trust! My suggestion would be to simplify the design by choosing one cool-looking section of it. Like many others I can see doing this with appliqué (possibly "reverse" appliqué if one could piece the dots of whatever shape and color and then just appliqué the outside of each dot so it shows through the background. Uffda! Your son is a troublemaker! LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Gopher it!"

Oh My Godness! GOOD LUCK!

joy
    Each oval is on a different angle and a different size... imaging cutting all of those out and appliqueing them on... look for something else that is not so impossible... whatever you choose your son is love...
    joy...

Nope, not a chance!

I can't help you with making this design into a quilt, but when it's done I sure would like to see it.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I emailed a highly trained Illusion quilter and she said to use a whole cloth and a projector and make a wall hanging and draw all the ovals on the whole cloth. Then fuse applique ovals over the drawn ovals. My poor aching arms from holding them upright for hours to draw each oval - oh my goodness! But she said 'no problem, can be done'. Now, do I want to put that much time into a wall quilt for my son's wall? Hmmmmm. Don't know the answer yet.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

That made me dissy LOL. There is some site where you can create your own fabric print, maybe try that and see if you can piece something with created fabric? Might get a bit expensive. It is OK to dissapoint our children LOL. Take care.

I'm thinking dyeing or fabric painting would be the way to go. This isn't going to be easy. Good luck to you. You might want to invest in a bottle of Gravol! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhiwater View Post
    What a challenge! I think I would change the ovals to rectangles and hit the graph paper. It would be like a postage stamp quilt.
    What I was going to suggest!

i would say applique would be the easiest

Blog Entries
    Maybe you can get an idea how to do it from this pattern:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/obsessi...hy/5572641204/

Or here one that was already on the quilt board a while back. Maybe he would like it just as well.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...lt-t21085.html

I admire your ambition and desire to bring a smile to your son's face again. We will do just about anything for our kids, won't we? Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Besides the obvious difficulty in getting the design right, my concern would be that all that work would be for naught when you added in the quilting. I think it would probably break up the surface enough to hide the optical illusion of the picture. That and also the way fabric absorbs light in comparison to how the paper abdorbs it in the picture.
    Carol B

Personally, I'd go blind but you could do it as an applique.

I would say "Yes" and I see that a few gals here had ideas similar to mine using the whole cloth & applique approach.

I had a few more ideas after examining the picture for a few minutes. First, it's fairly symetrical (left side vs right side) so you could probably get away with elarging only 1/2 the design and duplicating that. The band of black and white doesn't switch sides however, so you would want to change that order on the duplicated side. Second, the upper and lower hemispheres are also quite symetrical, so it's possible you could get away with enlarging only 1/4 of the design and duplicate from there.

One final observation - it's hard to tell but is there some slight shading behind the axis that helps create the illusion? If so you may need to find a way to duplicate this with markers or ink or a mist so the illusion becomes complete. Also, are the oranges on the axis a tad less vibrant than the outer dots?

If you can make it stop spinning....LOL

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry but it did not spin for me. I would say go for it to the spoonflowers website and see if they can do a whole cloth for you and then you put your backing on and quilt it. It would be a lot of work trying to hold it up and trace the ovals and then it might not turn out. I think a wall hanging would be nice tho, because he might decide he really doesn't want all that orange and blue.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4