Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this be made into a quilt?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Am I the only one that sees the picture move? You have more guts than I do to try this. Good luck. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

It would make a cool Bargello design!

One point you might want to take into serious consideration. You do all this massive work and then throw it on the bed to discover that all that cool graphic motion is utterly lost! The way you need to view this is as a piece of wall art that hangs so you can stand back and view the apparent movement straight on. Almost all that motion is obliterated when you view it from above and at an angle. The contours of the bed also make sure your work on this one is lost in the ultimate use . Other quilts are cool, funky and 70's like without as much work-- (especially if that work is then lost on a bed)
    If you want a big wall hanging that is another story. Yards of wonder-under and the suggestions given by others would accomplish it.
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

Blog Entries
    You might be sane, but blind. If you do it, post with instructions. You will be on quilt circuit.

Blog Entries
    It is fantastic. I would go and get it enlarged to a quilt centre size first and see if the illusion still looks the same.
    Then on a piece of blue fabric t he size of enlargement I would transfer / mark all the orange discs. Using reverse applique cut out t he marks slightly smaller stitch down . The other line could be embroidery or similar . Lot of hand work. Hen put in a border of you choice.orange behind can be a whole piece of clothe just spray basted on the back of blue. The quilting cous work around ovals . It is something I would have a go at.
    What is the shape called.?
    Last edited by DOTTYMO; 12-30-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    Finished is better than a UFO

That moves! I think it would give you a headache to make, literally. I worked with some fabric last year that had dots that made me dizzy and that one is worse. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I think it will be too overwhelming for me and my abilities. If I had one of those programs to make quilts, I might be able to somehow come up with something, but I don't think I can do much but applique. I might do a wall hanging. Thanks for the ideas. Never thought of applique or wall hanging until you all mentioned it. That is definitely do-able...harder than h**l, but do-able. He's going thru a really hard time right now, really hard, and this picture and the thought of a quilt was the only thing that cheered him up. He's 35 and I would never let him near my sewing machine. He does all my computer stuff for me. He's always "hooking us up" with great things. I'd like to put that smile back on his face.
    I know that you are wanting to comfort your son in his time of difficulty, but he seems to be playing right into your hands. I don't mean to sound incensitive but some things are not possible. Perhaps a painter could achieve such a design, but I don't think needle and thread is the answer in this case. I know that some people are of the opinion that anything is possible, but let's be real. I think the person who suggested a bargello-type design may be close to it. I have no idea how it could be done, but perhaps those familiar with the bargello would have a clue to how a similar design could be carried out, but with squares and rectangles, not circles. Perhaps your son could design something of this design on the computer and then have it transferred to fabric and handle it as a whole cloth piece. I wish you good fortune and good luck in solving this dilemma.
    One step at a time, always forward.

It would be difficult....but no more difficult that this quilt which is on my wanna do llist....awesome isnt it:

http://pinterest.com/pin/502644008380761905/

this would drive me crazy my eyes start to spin tooo(:
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Why is it spinning???!!! Lol!!!

Blog Entries
    Going by a quilt in one of my books it is possible but I'd be worried for my eyesight. I think my eyes would end up spinning, but I wish you all the best.

WOW what a quilting challenge that would be. Maybe talk to some of experts via their web sites. Good luck on this endeavor.
    Pat
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    What a challenge! I think I would change the ovals to rectangles and hit the graph paper. It would be like a postage stamp quilt.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Blog Entries
    Steady stitching I have that same quilt pinned on pintrest and the instructions bookmarked. I have looked at it several times. I am thinking about fabrics right now. I plan on starting it soon. It is mostly strip pieced.
    What if you did the quilt as a wall hanging. Print it out the size you want it(Kinkos is good for this). Then fuse the whole thing. It would be a lot of cutting but you would only have to quilt the wall hanging. This looks like something my nephew would ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
    One point you might want to take into serious consideration. You do all this massive work and then throw it on the bed to discover that all that cool graphic motion is utterly lost!
    This is a huge consideration! I made a king-size quilt with the most wonderful "bubbling up" motion in it - on the drawing board and hanging over my balcony. But when I flopped it onto the bed, it lost ALL that bubbling up! It's still a pretty quilt, because of the '30's fabrics and the white-on-white/white-on-natural mix of prints. But the beautiful motion is GONE on the bed.

So, I'd definitely recommend to keep it a wall-size. I would first try the wholecloth with fabric paints approach and second, the fused applique approach.

If you can get the design printed on giant paper at Kinko's, you can use a tiny bit of Elmer's washable school glue to tack the ovals fusible-side up to the paper. Then just press your background fabric to the fusible shapes. They'll be all laid out precisely for you.

Good luck! Hope you do this one and share pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    It would be difficult....but no more difficult that this quilt which is on my wanna do llist....awesome isnt it:

http://pinterest.com/pin/502644008380761905/
    I have that on my list, too. I got the DVD and the big ruler.... someday.....

Yup, sounds like a whole cloth with applique is the only way to go unless you want us all to visit you in the sanatorium!!

I would find a fabric with circles on it and then use the stack n whack method to create a kaleidoscope. Let us know what you decide to do.

WOW! If you can do it, it will be a great quilt. Your son has faith in you so you really should try. Good luck with it and hope to see some pictures soon.

Getting a quality photo of it and the using a photo editing program to divide it into the number of rectangles for the size you want. Print those blocks on fabric of 81/2 x 11. The actual print size would be 8 x101/2 so your quarter ich seam allowance would allow you to match the prints. Be sure to number them to keep it in order.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

lbc
    Someone would have to be much more talented than me to do this, but hey, anything is possible. I can remember when I was young wanting my Mom to make me a coat and she said she couldn't and I insisted she could and she did and did a beautiful job.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is gorgeous. look at the quilts in this site. I would assume anything can be done, if you know how.
    http://www.bryerpatch.com/gallery/gallery.htm

I think that you can only cut this into 4 squares - down the middle and across the middle. That is all of the repeating pattern that there is. Everywhere else the ovals are in graduating sizes and cutting it into smaller blocks would work for copying purposes but not for repeating purposes. The pattern does not repeat anywhere within the 4 sections. If you were to use fabric paint as morelcabin suggested and make your pattern from blown up sized copy of this picture it really shouldn't be hard at all. The whole difficulity of the thing would be in getting your edges sharp. You will lose the wonderful effect if your ovals are fuzzy on the edges. But that will be true of applique also. This really demands sharp precise lines on the ovals. How do you envision quilting it?

Blog Entries
    Boy that hurt my eyes just looking at it! I can't imagine trying to make a quilt like that.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

That sure is colorful...but while looking at it "move" it gave me a headache.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast