Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can it really shrink 10" UPDATE >

can it really shrink 10" UPDATE

can it really shrink 10" UPDATE

Old 12-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i can't help but wonder if they accidentally grabbed a bolt of 108".
i have never seen even the lowest grade fabric shrink that much.
I wondered this too. If you know the mfg, you could do a bit of searching & see what widths that particular fabric came in.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:16 PM

That is why I pre wash everything. I don't want any surprises.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
I bought 3.5 yds of 118" backing fabric, it was crammed into a small box so rather than iron I washed. As soon as it came out of the dryer I put it on my frame so it would be stretched and not wrinkled, when I went to load the top which I knew was 108" the were the same size! Well fabric.com can't take it back because I washed it but did give me 10$ credit but now I wonder , is it possible that it shrunk THAT much? I guess I'll try again and not wash because I don't want it pieced.
I have to add that the girl did offer to send me enough to piece it to fit at no charge and last week I ordered some 1yd pieces, one had a "Jackpot, you got the end of the bolt" sticker, I measured it and it was 3.5 inches longer, no big deal but another one was 17" longer!
I guess from now on if it's important I will measure before I do anything else.
How much did the length shrink?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:24 PM

forgot to mention, I asked her how I could be sure it wouldn't happen again, she said when I find what I want I can call and request that someone in the warehouse measure it, I said but will they actually measure it or just read what's printed on the end, she assured me that they would actually measure it. I'm going to choose the same fabric but another color...stay tuned.
if it's the same weave, you'll likely have the same shrinkage
Old 12-05-2014, 12:26 PM

forgot to mention, I asked her how I could be sure it wouldn't happen again, she said when I find what I want I can call and request that someone in the warehouse measure it, I said but will they actually measure it or just read what's printed on the end, she assured me that they would actually measure it. I'm going to choose the same fabric but another color...stay tuned.
So, if they measure it, and the next piece shrinks, what have you gained?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 PM

I have not taken it off the frame yet to measure the length, I ordered more of the same in a different color, waiting for them to get back to me on the true width, I won't prewash this time but will measure it myself.
I too don't think it could have been the 118" to start with, but they don't show it to come in anything but 118"
Old 12-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Wow that is a lot of shrinkage if indeed it was 118" to begin with. But perhaps you are lucky you found out BEFORE you used it--you would have had a major crinkly look on the front if the back shrunk that much! The quilting would have helped some but I wouldnt be happy at all.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:19 AM

I have found that you need to measure any fabrics you purchased whether from a local store or online. I've had some fabrics come to me so off measured by a yard or more recently. This makes me wonder how many of my fabrics were miss measured in the past that I didn't check. Thank goodness the stores are good enough to make things right for you most of the times.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Sorry this happened to you! I would be really upset if I had that happen to me. But I don't think I would want it to shrink like that after it was quilted, so I'm not sure that your plan to reorder and not wash it is such a great idea. Let us know what you decide to do and how it comes out ok? I would hate to see all the work you put into the top ruined because of a backing!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 AM

I am going to measure my quilt-back fabric. Sorry this happened but Thank you for the information.