Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can a scrappy quilt be too scrappy? >

Can a scrappy quilt be too scrappy?

Can a scrappy quilt be too scrappy?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Although I've seen total scrappy quilts, for instance postage stamp quilts, that I thought were totally stunning, I gravitate more to the controlled scrappy camp. As others mentioned, a single fabric unifying sashing does wonders. I also like the ones where all the lights (or darks) are just a couple fabrics very close in color and value rather than just lighter or darker than the adjoining fabric. Choosing a pattern that uses lights, mediums & darks also helps keeping things lively.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:05 AM

I think the solid cream of the HST and the black sashing allows a wide range of scrappy fabrics to be used, as long as they contrast with cream and black. This is where a design wall or other large surface comes in handy. For this quilt, you could assemble the cream/print squares, step back, and rearrange until the distribution of colors and values seems balanced.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:17 AM

in a quilt like the one you link to, where the whole point is scrappy, I always leave out scraps that read as black or red. They scream at everyone else But look how stunning those black sashings are, with the black used with a purpose.

I always use a good mix of neutrals and whites, so when blended they too serve their purpose as spots of light, without again, screaming at each other.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

never too scrappy imho
Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 AM

If you could post a photo of that other scrappy quilt you did that you thought looked muddy, we might be able to offer suggestions as to what went wrong. I think very much depends on the pattern. I think there are some patterns that would do better with a controlled approach; with the pattern you've shown here, I really don't see how you could go wrong, as long as your neutrals read as lights.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:50 PM

I don't think a scrappy quilt can't ever be too scrappy! I see a lot of "controlled" scrappies...like using just one or two color lines...and they are nice too. I think that the greater contrast between the lights and darks can create nice patterns, but what is light or dark depends on what fabric is next to it. You only have to please yourself. I have a collection of scrappy quilt books and when I want to do a controlled scrappy, I look through them to get ideas.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Hi and thank you all for your input. The majority of my lights are white or off white though I do have a good handful of light prints (along the line of shirtings). The darks are more varied. The sashing, binding and back won't be from my stash so I'll have some control there and I'll try to keep those very simple. I do like somewhat of a controlled scrappy look and was thinking of doing it all blues, or earth tones or even buying one solid fabric for the lights or darks to keep things consistent. I opted out of the later because I really don't want to buy more fabric and in the end depending how much I have of each color I may opt to put it together in such a way that each large block of 16 squares is all similar colors, more or less. We'll see how it goes . . . .

Now I have to begin the daunting task of making all those HST's. And then pressing the seams. Once that's done it's all downhill.

My previous mud soup quilt actually turned out okay, BECAUSE, for the back instead of buying new fabric for backing I look my blues and made 5.5" squares, sewed those together and that was my back. It's still very scrappy but looks a lot better than the front. I'll post pics later.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:30 PM

I tried to post pics but I get a message that the upload failed, I guess the pics are too big
Old 02-07-2016, 01:35 PM

I love scrappy quilts. However, I think, as others have already said, that you should choose a theme and stick with it. 1930's fabrics, civil war, brights etc. I certainly wouldn't mix and match, that's when a quilt starts to look "muddy". The pattern you've chosen is really pretty, and would look lovely in any of the combinations mentions previously. My own humble opinion though, is that while the quilt shown is really pretty, I don't think it goes with the rest of the decor. I'm just sayin'.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 PM

Do you have a large scrap of a multicolor print that you'd like to use? If so, I find that it makes a good springboard to define your color way. It might have 8-12 colors in it . I lay out my springboard fabric completely unfolded and then audition scraps against it. If it "goes" with that piece, it'll work. All those neutrals HSTs will certainly keep it from looking muddy. And you'd be surprised how a really oddball fabric can fit in.