Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure how I should quilt this >

Not sure how I should quilt this

Not sure how I should quilt this

Old 12-31-2015, 07:27 PM

Default Not sure how I should quilt this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539164[/ATTACH]
Has anyone quilted a zipper quilt? Any suggestions? My sister thinks "Maybe quilt 1/4" inside the teeth to emphasize them?" Would meandering take away from the pattern? Any input is appreciated.TIA
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 12-31-2015, 08:33 PM

I like your sisters suggestion to emphasize the zippers.

I don't have much quilting experience and usually take the echo quilting or stitch in the ditch option.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:40 PM

I think I would want to quilt the black part in black thread pretty densely(stipple or just straight lines of random width) to emphasize the zipper. Maybe just SID around the zipper rectangles. Maybe use a dark blue on borders and to a wide wishbone.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

If you Google "zipper quilt" and then click on "images", you will find photos of zipper quilts with varied quilting. There are also good photos of zipper quilt quilting on pinterest.com .

From my brief perusal of photos online, I think these quilts look best with relatively thin batting such as Quilter's Dream cotton. I was least impressed with those that had puffy batting; it just doesn't seem to go along with the geometry of the pattern, especially when quilted in curving lines.

I would definitely use a thin thread such as Bottom Line for this quilt, and I'd probably opt for black thread on the black background fabric and silver thread for the colored.

I'd probably start out by sewing in-the-ditch (not 1/4" away) around the rows of teeth to separate the background areas from the colored areas, then consider what I wanted to do after that. I'm thinking black thread lines 1/4" apart throughout the black background, then perhaps silver thread in overlapping geometric boxes inside the colored teeth. Angela Walters shows how to do easy geometric quilting in one of her Craftsy classes or videos (and in at least one of her books). Or, I also think a fairly dense overall meander would look good too; I would just do that inside the SID lines to keep the thread colors separate.

Edit: Here is a website that shows the Angela Walters boxes (example in red):
http://www.sewmamasew.com/2015/05/ho...traight-lines/
Old 12-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

Are you going to machine or hand quilt? Hand quilting 1/4 inside all the zippers would be nice. If you are machine quilting, I would start by quilting 1/4 inch inside the black background zipper first because you can do it in a continuous manner from bottom to the top.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:36 PM

I would shadow quilt in the black to make the zipper stand out then do some lines or squiggles in the black area between.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

I haven't put a border on mine yet but I made it with pastel shabby chic fabrics so I was going to crosshatch but not at a 45 degree angle but I am not sure since you quilt goes from black to very light. I would look at Google Images to see how others have quilted this pattern.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:24 AM

I don't think meandering would take away from the pattern. In fact, my first thought was an overall because if you quilt with a neutral thread (possibly a medium or dark gray) the quilting won't show up much.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:09 AM

Yikes... it is a beautiful quilt but tough decision on how to quilt it. I agree with Prism99, you might look at other zipper quilts for a few ideas. Please post a picture when you have it done... and welcome to the QB. : )
Old 01-02-2016, 07:59 AM

I'd consider a Baptist Fan pattern.

http://www.dontcallmebetsy.com/2012/...tist-fans.html