Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone with EQ/good with math help? >

Can someone with EQ/good with math help?

Can someone with EQ/good with math help?

Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Default Can someone with EQ/good with math help?

Ok. I want to make a border for this quilt when I finish piecing it. (only 3 more rows to go.) I was thinking of floating the 2" square scraps of the main fabric around the border. I'd like the border to be 3" so that this quilt is close to the same size as my previous quilt (made for my twin nieces)

I'd love to see what it might look like before I start cutting, but more importantly, I'd love to know the math. The quilt (prior to the border) will measure 30" by 48 1/2". I'd like the finished size to be 38"x56" which is almost the same size as the blue quilt.

Not sure how to figure out what size of strips and 2" blocks I'd need to be able to float them in the border.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails twins-green-quilt.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 03:39 PM

Sounds like you want 4" borders, to take a 30x48 quilt to 38x56. If you want to float 2" finished squares in the 4" finished border, you will need 1"(finished) on each side of the squares, so 1.5" strips. I would probably cut 2.5" strips of the main fabric, and 2" strips of the border fabric. Strip piece 2"- 2.5" - 2" and cut into 2.5" sections. Then cut border sections 4.5" x ? to go between those sections - depending how far apart you want your floating squares to be. 6" (6.5" cut) would work out pretty well - you'd get 3 floating squares top and bottom, 5 down each side, plus one in each corner.

I don't know if that makes any sense? Made a lot of sense in my head
Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM

Yes, kristakz, it makes sense to some of us, but it may be easier to visualize if you cut several pieces of paper 2" square. Then lay your border fabric on a bed or table, lay the quilt top on the border fabric, leaving a 4 inch reveal of the border fabric. (just try it with one side or perhaps 1/4 of the quilt so you would have a corner too). Now lay the paper squares on the border fabric and move them around until you are happy with their positioning.

You know that you will need 1 1/2 inches of border fabric on each side of your (finished) 2 inch squares (2 1/2 inches unfinished) to make them as wide as the rest of the border fabric. So really at this point, all you have to do is decide where you want the floating squares, measure the distances, adding seam allowance of course. Do one side at a time.

Cute quilt. I wonder if you could fussy cut squares that would include a butterfly.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure you have given enought information. Are you using 2.5" strips in your quilt?? I have drawn this outline on EQ. I THINK that the quilt width will be 30.5" x 48.5". If you are using 2" stripes, you want the lenght and width of you quilt (minus seam allowance) to be dividiable by 2"The measurement are 8" between you top and the size you want the quilt to be. That is 4" finsihed border of all sides. I have floated the quilts with a 1" light border then used the 2" stripes cut in the lenght of 3.5" for a finsihed 3" border. Hope this is what you wanted to know.
Attached Thumbnails green-strip-quilt.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 AM

Here's my version. I think you want the little squares to float within the border, not just the border. Right?

I added a 1 1/2" finished border first (Cut 2"). Then your 2" finished squares pieced between strips. Finally another 1 1/2" finished border. This creates a 4" finished border to reach the finished size you want.

I placed 3 squares in the top and bottom borders. The strips between measure 2" X 6 1/2" finished. (Cut 2 1/2" X 7")
There are 5 squares in the side borders. The strips between measure 6 3/4" finished. (Cut 2 1/2" X 7 1/4")
You will also need 4 cornerstones 2" square finished. (cut 2 1/2")

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464410[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails floating-border-1.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am not sure you have given enought information. Are you using 2.5" strips in your quilt?? I have drawn this outline on EQ. I THINK that the quilt width will be 30.5" x 48.5". If you are using 2" stripes, you want the lenght and width of you quilt (minus seam allowance) to be dividiable by 2"The measurement are 8" between you top and the size you want the quilt to be. That is 4" finsihed border of all sides. I have floated the quilts with a 1" light border then used the 2" stripes cut in the lenght of 3.5" for a finsihed 3" border. Hope this is what you wanted to know.
I hadn't thought about doing it like this...but it looks really nice! Thank you!!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cherisews View Post
Here's my version. I think you want the little squares to float within the border, not just the border. Right?

I added a 1 1/2" finished border first (Cut 2"). Then your 2" finished squares pieced between strips. Finally another 1 1/2" finished border. This creates a 4" finished border to reach the finished size you want.

I placed 3 squares in the top and bottom borders. The strips between measure 2" X 6 1/2" finished. (Cut 2 1/2" X 7")
There are 5 squares in the side borders. The strips between measure 6 3/4" finished. (Cut 2 1/2" X 7 1/4")
You will also need 4 cornerstones 2" square finished. (cut 2 1/2")

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464410[/ATTACH]
Yeah. This is what was in my mind to do. Thank you!!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM

You're quite welcome! Please let us see your quilt when you get the borders added. Can't wait to see it!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Thank you! I will!