Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone please finish all of my quilts??? >

Can someone please finish all of my quilts???

Can someone please finish all of my quilts???

Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 PM

I think far too many of us over schedule ourselves severely during the Christmas season. It's not about the presents and the wrapping and all of the other things we think we have to do. Then we get overtired, grouchy and probably catch something because we haven't been sleeping and are all stressed out. We cut back on a lot of Christmas a few years ago and we honestly haven't missed it. Christmas should be about family and spending some time together. Good luck planning a simpler Christmas which is still beautiful and meaningful.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:05 PM

I really sympathize. I am working on quilts for my 2 granddaughters on my new Brother machine that I've only had for 2 months. I work in retail so you can imagine how much free time I have!! Adding to that is the fact that one of the granddaughters lives with me, along with her mom and brother, so time is very limited when I can work on them without her seeing what I am doing. I've even considered wrapping them unfinished just so they can see them and then finish them up after the holidays. Well, as I was working on one of them today my brand new machine locked up on me. I had to take it back to the dealer and he is now working on it. Heaven only knows when I will get it back. My sister offered me her old machine, but I am so frustrated I think it's best to put these two projects in the back of the closet til after the holidays. Today was definitely not one of my better days, so yes, I can sympathize. And if you find someone to finish your quilts, maybe I can find someone to finish mine too!!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Whatever you decide to do, your grandma loves you and will be overjoyed!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM

I agree with the others, make some small sample of it with a long letter=HANDWRITTEN=telling her how much you love her and what you are making but it isn't finished yet.

I'll bet that handwritten letter will be a lovingly kept gift, along with whatever she gets from you.

Very few people ever hand write letters any more..sadly, even me. And I treasure the few that I still get from little ones who can barely scrawl out what they want to say.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaO
Do a pillow sham or wall hanging out of just a couple of blocks-then she'll have a piece of it and you will have time to do the whole quilt without the deadline of Christmas looming. Don't forget to ENJOY the Christmas season. It's over too soon to stress through it.
I agree, do a pillow, one block, and give her a certificate for the quilt later. Maybe a lap size would be more doable after the holidays. Remember to have fun!!!

Another thought would be to do a solid arc DWR. I'll find a pic.

http://www.qheartland.com/pd_double.cfm
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

You need a sewing buddy. One long marathon weekend and you can have it pieced. Then you can give it even though its not quilted yet.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 PM

If you are serious I know a lady who will hand quilt this for you from the piecing right down to the quilting.
She is very reasonable and is an expert and she does excellent work.
if you would like more info PM me.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks Mom!!

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Consider this kick in the butt!!! Just one step at a time.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Well I have never done a double wedding ring or a single one for that matter but if you trust me I am game. LOL I think Elanore Burns, Quilt in a Day, has a pattern you applique the rings on top by using fussible interfacing and turning it inside out. Then just iron on and zig zag over the edges with clear thread. Maybe an idea to finnish it off that way.

I have a book some where in the mess that has an alternative method too. If I find it I will post the title or maybe some one else knows of it.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Ok I started the paper pieced DWR and since I cannot do scrappy I have to say I LOVE how it is looking Thank you for the motivation to get it done. I cannot wait to show pictures!