Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can Synthrapol be used in a HE washing machine? >

Can Synthrapol be used in a HE washing machine?

Can Synthrapol be used in a HE washing machine?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:35 PM

Put it in your bathtub instead. Soak it overnight in plenty of hot water, drain it, then spin dry in your washer. This works so well for me with bleeders that I don't even bother with chemical agents anymore. And I DON'T wash multiple times.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 PM

The amount to use was so little that I never even gave this any thought before. I have a front loader and just followed the directions on the bottle. I just checked the bottle and it doesn't say anything about not using it in front load machines.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the replies! I did use it, but only one capful. It did help somewhat and I think I am just going to learn to love my quilt as it is

Thanks for the tip to increase the water level on your washer. I didn't know you could do that and next time I am definitely going to give that a try.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom View Post
Thanks for the replies! I did use it, but only one capful. It did help somewhat and I think I am just going to learn to love my quilt as it is

Thanks for the tip to increase the water level on your washer. I didn't know you could do that and next time I am definitely going to give that a try.
Repeated washings of the quilt with Synthrapol will likely remove the dye bleed. This is because the dye particles of the bleed have not been permanently set into the fabric. Modern day dyes typically require specific chemical processes to set the dye. If I were you, I would try washing it at least one more time with Synthrapol -- using more Synthrapol and more water. Sometimes it will come out in one go; sometimes it requires more than one repeat washing.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by silliness View Post
I have a HE front loader and use Synthropol in it. I've never had any issues. I also use several color catchers in the load. My biggest bleeding problems happen when I forget to use the Synthropol.
A couple years ago, we had water in the basement, just enough to soak the carpet. The edge of a quilt top had been touching the carpet, and the water simply traveled up into a part where the red fabric was. I used Synthropol in my HE front loader along with a few color catchers. I used hot water, too. This worked like a charm to remove the red dye that had bled onto the white fabric.