Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can We Still Use Vinegar In The "he" Washing Machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    I've never heard of adding vinegar before. How much should be added?
    I've always been told to add about a Tbsp for small loads and 1/4 c. for larger loads.

My husband's company sells appliances (this is where we got ours) and they coach the salesmen to warn customers not to treat these machines like normal ones. You're not supposed to put just any detergent in the machines. In the past, to help cleanse delicate fabrics, I would use small amounts of dish detergent which was recommended as being gentler on fabric than normal detergent. Now, you're not supposed to use that at all. You can only use detergents recommended for "he" machines.

What I did for this new one is wait until the washer was full of water, pause the machine to unlock the lid, and add the vinegar straight to the water. DH says that the vinegar isn't recommended in the tubing for the bleach area but there's been no definite research done on it.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    I have a Whirlpool HE front loader. I have had 2 service calls on the filter clogging already! I asked the repairman why it happens. he explained that the front loader uses less water so the pump is not as strong, and doesn't push water/hair etc out as well. Also I have dogs and cats. hair! so now I will wash the dogs beds/blankets and my area rugs at the laundramat. He was nice enough to show me how to check it and fix it myself! just something to consider if you are considering a front loader.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Also something to remember about your front loaders.... If you DO happen to add too much detergent and you see lots of suds have liquid fabric softener handy to add to your washer and the suds will go away instantly.
    Faith :XD:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    I've never heard of adding vinegar before. How much should be added?
    I've always been told to add about a Tbsp for small loads and 1/4 c. for larger loads.

My husband's company sells appliances (this is where we got ours) and they coach the salesmen to warn customers not to treat these machines like normal ones. You're not supposed to put just any detergent in the machines. In the past, to help cleanse delicate fabrics, I would use small amounts of dish detergent which was recommended as being gentler on fabric than normal detergent. Now, you're not supposed to use that at all. You can only use detergents recommended for "he" machines.

What I did for this new one is wait until the washer was full of water, pause the machine to unlock the lid, and add the vinegar straight to the water. DH says that the vinegar isn't recommended in the tubing for the bleach area but there's been no definite research done on it.
    Thank you Ps 150

I use vinegar instead of rinse in mine. I love the way it works.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    I have a Whirlpool HE front loader. I have had 2 service calls on the filter clogging already! I asked the repairman why it happens. he explained that the front loader uses less water so the pump is not as strong, and doesn't push water/hair etc out as well. Also I have dogs and cats. hair! so now I will wash the dogs beds/blankets and my area rugs at the laundramat. He was nice enough to show me how to check it and fix it myself! just something to consider if you are considering a front loader.
    Oh no! That stinks. DH's company sells these machines so he's been coached in how to sell them but for his particular store, he handles the service issues and delinquency issues (for those that don't make payments) so he knew all about the service problems with frontloaders. Ours is a Whirlpool Cabrio toploader with the dryer to match for that reason. He says we will never get the frontloaders. He always has to send the frontloaders out for service since the seals are constantly going on them. Once the customers' warranty is up, they're on their own and he feels so bad for them. He's been selling the Cabrios for a while now and not one of them has had to be serviced so we went with those.

My HE is about 4 years old, I use vinegar in place of fabric softener and have for probly 3 years,no problems :)

My washer is definitely a she -- I clall her Bessie and have for yaers. Butting a jug o vinegar or some shine that gone bad and not worth much for anthing else do keep the innards woking fresh an clean.

Lots of great ideas! Mine told me to use about a cup of Cascade once a month to keep it clean and smelling good. (powder). Keeps it clean!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2