Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can we talk about thread? >

Can we talk about thread?

Can we talk about thread?

Old 01-04-2015, 12:04 PM

As long as my machine likes it so do I. I use a lot of different threads and have been happy with most. I think you have to try them and choose the ones that work best for you.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:29 PM

I forgot to mention that as you learn about thread you also learn about weights of thread 2ply vs 3ply the smaller the number the heavier the thread as in 12 weight Aurafil being a good substitute for embroidery thread 50 weight is what you usually use for piecing 60 weight is very fine 35 - 45 makes nice machine quilting thread. So with each thread is the correct needle to use yes we normally use 75 - 80 sharps or universal some like the microtex needles then your long arm machines go up to a 20 yes 20 since that thread is moving so fast through the eye of that needle. Be sure to learn the correct needle for the thread that you are using. Nice to see all of the thread companies mentioned and I know that there are more depending on what part of the world you are in.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:29 PM

I use Connecting Threads for piecing. I prefer it to C and C. It does produce more lint, but the price is right and my machine does fine with it. For machine quilting my Bernina is very picky and I use Aurifil. It is beautiful thread and works well for quilting.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:11 PM

I have several different brands on hand and generally use white or a soft grey for piecing. For quilting, it depends upon my mood and what I am trying to achieve on the quilt whether the quilting is visible or fades into the background. I do use lots of variegated colors for quilting as sometimes that is the only thing that has the possibility of disappearing. When making potholders, I use whatever will make me happy for quilting colors.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
When I bought my Bernina, I was told to use Mettler silk wrapped. I have been happy with the results.

Good Luck in selling things because since hand quilted items have been imported from China, there isn't much of a market for selling items even when they have won awards in quilt shows.

Mettler is a "silk FINISH" not wrapped in silk. 100% cotton. No silk. Long staple thread gives it that silk finish.

i love Aurifl. Silky smooth long staple thread. My guilty quilty pleasure and preference. Most expensive thread. 50wt

Mettler Silk Finish: i just bought a spool to try. Stay tuned

Signature: i like to sew with it but when it comes to "unsewing" it, it tends to grab the fabric when I try to pull out the clipped threads that I need to rip out. I guess it likes its new home! Lol.

Prescencia: so far, i like it too.

Guterrman: Linty. I am not a fan.

C & C Dual Duty. Decent, less expensive. Not my first choice but it is affordably priced.

Sandy
Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

SandyGirl ... in speaking of your threads being expensive or not. Do check the number of yards vs. cost. At first I totally hesitated on the Aurifil, then I realized that because of the finer thread, the yardage was a lot more on what appeared to be the same size spool ........... and I soon got rid of any guilt in it being my thread of choice for piecing. Sometimes, I even use it for quilting too.

ManiacQuilter2 ... Bernina sets their machines up with Mettler Silk Finished Threads (at least the newer ones) and thus why they recommend such. Not that you can't use others, just that the tension may need to be adjusted to meet the thread. Because Aurifil is my most highly used thread, the techie always sets my machine for Aurifil ... and I make the adjustments when using others. (I just need to remember to remind him!)
Old 01-05-2015, 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=QuiltE;7034752]SandyGirl ... in speaking of your threads being expensive or not. Do check the number of yards vs. cost. At first I totally hesitated on the Aurifil, then I realized that because of the finer thread, the yardage was a lot more on what appeared to be the same size spool ........... and I soon got rid of any guilt in it being my thread of choice for piecing. Sometimes, I even use it for quilting too.

QuiltE,
you make a valid point. Btw, i dont look at the price. I buy the large orange spools....I. just add my thread purchase to the pile!
Sandy
Old 07-05-2015, 11:37 AM

Default Durable thread?

I have a question for all: What is the most durable thread for the long term? I'm planning to make a cathedral window as a coverlet, using a tutorial I found at
http://april-makingendsmeet.blogspot...-tutorial.html, but it'll be thread and thread alone holding the blocks together. I grew up making clothes out of C&C, and the thread invariably broke before the fabric wore out, so I know it'll have to be a poly thread. I applique with Invisafil, which I absolutely love, but it's not strong enough for this project. I'll use C&C (since I have it) or Gutermann (since I also have that) up to the point when I put blocks together, but what then? Advice, anyone?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 AM

Oooooops! Never mind!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM

I was happy to find this thread topic as I was just thinking about thread. I tend to use a neutral color for piecing but was wondering how you go about choosing your thread for quilting. I think for now ( I am a newbie) I will probably look for thread that won't show up as much. Also I notice a few comments on using a different thread, Bottom Line, in the bobbin - I am curious as to why you would do this? Thanks!