Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: please talk to me about thread

please talk to me about thread

Well after taking my new machine back to the shop i found out most of my trouble was the thread. They sold me metrosene thread. I need to find an online place for good thread. What is comparable to metrosene? Would i be able to use the Essentials thread from Connecting threads? Or is my store just trying to sell me thread? I am fairly new to this and advice is welcome. Thanks.
    Holly

Hi Holly
    I like to use Auriful thread (I order it online).It is an Egyptian long staple cotton and has very little lint. (Available at Red Rock Threads)
    Another if my favorites is Masterpiece by Superior Threads. There is a wonderful Superior threads website that has a ton of info on all types of the thread that they sell. Bob Purcell (Owner) does wonderful workshop lectures about thread at some of the larger quilt shows.You can also buy from them on their site. Shipping is very reasonable.
    After using these threads my stash of thread is becoming like my fabric stash - too large.
    Elizabeth

I never heard of metrosene thread. I use connecting threads thread and coats and clark most of the time. I found C&C quilting thread doesn't leave as much lint nor break as much as other kinds. I clean the bobbin area every time I out in a new bobbin. Don't use canned air, vacuum the area or use a brush.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Superior Thread has a great site with all kinds of information about thread and needles.The only thread I have been told not to use is coats and clark and cheap wal-mart brands or other cheap brands.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    I use only Aurifil in both my Janomes and featherweight. I can buy it at most quilt shops. I goes a long way on the machine.

Yes, they are trying to sell you their thread. There are lots of low-lint threads available, and most machines are not that picky. Be sure to clean the machine frequently whatever thread you use, but more if the thread is linty. I like the threads from Connecting Threads, as well as Superior.

I love Aurafil. I also use Mettler but it tends to be linty.
    SewMomma66 - Janome 7700 named Lucy, Pfaff Creative Vision 5.5 named Ethyl, Babylock serger named Fred, and Janome 9500 named Ricky.

Blog Entries
    I have a Janome and 99% of the time I have Coats and Clarks Dual Duty XP in it. I haven't had any issues with lots of lint like some others have reported. This is what my mother and great aunt always used and it was what I was taught. I have used Mettler and Guterman also but usually only when I need a specific color or am doing a decorative stitch.
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 03-17-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

My Janome and Featherweight prefers Aurifil and so do I. One of my GF tried it an fell in love.

I know this is weird but I use Aurifil to piece with. However, I use Coats and Clark poly for quilting. Seems to work for me, my quilts are used all the time and washed many times and the C&C really holds up for the quilting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You do know that Metrosene is a POLY thread and not a cotton right? It is also spending for being a poly thread.
    Are you sure that is what you want?
    A good machine should take any thread, you might just need to use different needles!

So, how would you rate Gutermann as far as lint goes? High amount of lint? low amount of lint??? Just trying to figure out if it is worth switching to Aurifil......

Blog Entries
    connecting threads, Superior Threads and Atlanta Thread company are only 3 of many, many thread companies who have great threads at good prices and reasonable shipping policies. I think Superior is the most (informative) of the web sites with free thread/needle charts you can print off that tell you about the different threads/ what needles to use with them and their best uses...a valuable resource. i purchase alot of my thread from Connecting thread (probably 75% another 24% from Superior and 1% from the lqs or other sources)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have a Janome, a Bernina and a Featherweight, and I use Connecting Threads thread in all 3 of them. Never had a problem, but I clean the bobbin area every time I change the bobbin.

Thanks so much for your input.
    Holly

My prefered thread is Aurifil, but there are alot of other good brands out there as well...It's just a matter of trying them and seeing which ones you like the best....Take note of what the thread is made from, some are 100% cotton, some poly, some rayon, you will have decorative threads, different weights of threads also......Good Luck in your search....
    Have an inspring day!
    Sandi

I really like Connecting Threads essentials.....great thread, cheap, a bit linty (clean often) so many colors, great customer service.....I have a Janome 6600 and she isn't one bit particular about what thread I put in her....I also am using up old C&C for piecing, or whatever I find, as long as it withstands a strength test (can't stand to just toss it).....I refuse to spend mega $$$ on thread that won't perform any better than the cheaper stuff.....I would rather save those $$$ for more fabric! LOL

I like metrosene for garment sewing a lot, and I have used it for piecing. Yes, it is a polyester thread, but works well in my machine. Most of the time I use Superior SoFine 40 wt for piecing. It is also a poly but feels like cotton. I buy it in large cones in medium gray and medium tan and choose which one depending on whether I'm piecing mostly dark items or mostly light items. For quilting I have used about everything, but I probably use Aurifil the most. That is because my local shop carries it and it comes in lovely varigated colors that I like a lot. I have a Handiquilter Sweet 16, and I use the Superior SuperBob prowound bobbins for my quilting just about all the time. I generally choose a neutral color that matches the back.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I use only Aurifil in both my Janomes and featherweight. I can buy it at most quilt shops. I goes a long way on the machine.
    That is what I use too, both my Janome and my old Kenmore really like it and the lint is minimal, also it really does last a long time.
    Juliebelle

Blog Entries
    Aurafil has very little lint, I love it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    A good machine should take any thread, you might just need to use different needles!
    I agree with Jacqie...

Yesterday my long arm guild chapter had a speaker, Ron Paul. He tunes up long arm machines, but can do any type of sewing machine. He told us that you put thread your needle on the thread you want to use, still on the spool/cone. See if the needle will glide down the thread -with one end of the thread up and one down. If it will NOT go, you need a needle with a bigger eye.

About cotton thread, if you have cotton, you WILL have lint. Just be sure to clean out more often. If you don't want lint, don't use cotton!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain