Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   please talk to me about thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-talk-me-about-thread-t183158.html)

hsweany 03-17-2012 05:02 PM

please talk to me about thread

Well after taking my new machine back to the shop i found out most of my trouble was the thread. They sold me metrosene thread. I need to find an online place for good thread. What is comparable to metrosene? Would i be able to use the Essentials thread from Connecting threads? Or is my store just trying to sell me thread? I am fairly new to this and advice is welcome. Thanks.

tootskellett 03-17-2012 05:21 PM

Hi Holly
I like to use Auriful thread (I order it online).It is an Egyptian long staple cotton and has very little lint. (Available at Red Rock Threads)
Another if my favorites is Masterpiece by Superior Threads. There is a wonderful Superior threads website that has a ton of info on all types of the thread that they sell. Bob Purcell (Owner) does wonderful workshop lectures about thread at some of the larger quilt shows.You can also buy from them on their site. Shipping is very reasonable.
After using these threads my stash of thread is becoming like my fabric stash - too large.
Elizabeth

Jingle 03-17-2012 05:25 PM

I never heard of metrosene thread. I use connecting threads thread and coats and clark most of the time. I found C&C quilting thread doesn't leave as much lint nor break as much as other kinds. I clean the bobbin area every time I out in a new bobbin. Don't use canned air, vacuum the area or use a brush.

cbridges22 03-17-2012 06:27 PM

Superior Thread has a great site with all kinds of information about thread and needles.The only thread I have been told not to use is coats and clark and cheap wal-mart brands or other cheap brands.

Dix 03-17-2012 06:29 PM

I use only Aurifil in both my Janomes and featherweight. I can buy it at most quilt shops. I goes a long way on the machine.

dunster 03-17-2012 06:32 PM

Yes, they are trying to sell you their thread. There are lots of low-lint threads available, and most machines are not that picky. Be sure to clean the machine frequently whatever thread you use, but more if the thread is linty. I like the threads from Connecting Threads, as well as Superior.

SewMomma66 03-17-2012 06:33 PM

I love Aurafil. I also use Mettler but it tends to be linty.

auntpiggylpn 03-17-2012 07:00 PM

I have a Janome and 99% of the time I have Coats and Clarks Dual Duty XP in it. I haven't had any issues with lots of lint like some others have reported. This is what my mother and great aunt always used and it was what I was taught. I have used Mettler and Guterman also but usually only when I need a specific color or am doing a decorative stitch.

pinkberrykay 03-17-2012 07:01 PM

My Janome and Featherweight prefers Aurifil and so do I. One of my GF tried it an fell in love.

Sally J 03-17-2012 07:13 PM

I know this is weird but I use Aurifil to piece with. However, I use Coats and Clark poly for quilting. Seems to work for me, my quilts are used all the time and washed many times and the C&C really holds up for the quilting.