Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you draw whimsy? >

Can you draw whimsy?

Can you draw whimsy?

Old 05-31-2014, 04:15 PM

I can't draw at all but I play around in Photoshop with circles, squares, clouds and the photoshop warp tool. Its kind of like punch art. Here is a poodle I did with mainly cloud shapes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477475[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails il_570xn.314590515.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Ask a child to draw whatever it is you want. They turn out very whimsical and quite cute. My granddaughter drew me a picture of a mouse when she was about 5 or 6 that was just adorable and she named it "M O W S E". When she was grown I made her a pillow with her mouse on the front and labeled "M O W S E" just as she had.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
Get a child's coloring book and trace patterns from that and fill in with color.
I'm with you. I can not draw even a straight line! Lol!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
I see all these adorable funky animals and houses and people that quilters have drawn and cut out and added as appliques on quilts, mug rugs, and wall hangings, and I am sitting here wondering if they've been drawing all their lives or is it something you can just do.

I picked up my gs's dry erase board and the picture in my head is so not what ends up on the board, lol.

I did print out a bunch of ideas from MS Word Clipart and others from googling so that should help.

Can you draw? It can't be that hard, right?
type in "Coloring pages"...it will bring up all sorts of images.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Ask a child to draw whatever it is you want. They turn out very whimsical and quite cute.
I LOVE this idea!! I get drawings from my niece & nephew sometimes and they're so fun; I should reproduce some in applique' form as a gift for their mom.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

I can draw but it is so much less painful to use clip art
Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM

When I was in 7th grade art class we had to paint a still life of an orange, an apple and a vase. The art teacher told me not to bother trying a second time, that it wouldn't help because I had no talent (she was really mean). I was crushed, since both my parents could draw and paint. I never tried again. To this day, over 50 years later, I cannot make my hand do what my mind "sees" with a pencil or paint brush, even though I started sewing garments when I was about 12, and have created many pieces of stained glass art over the years. I can follow a pattern but can't draw one! :-)
Old 06-01-2014, 06:12 PM

Art, drawing, etc. is in the eye of the beholder! When my DGD was in HS, the local Farmer's Market Org. asked the HS art teacher to have all of her art students do a poster for that summer's market. My DGD's poster was given a C and she was told it wasn't very good. She called me and asked if her art was that bad. I told her she may not have followed the criteria the teacher was looking for and I assured her that her art was very good. Well, after the judging by the Farmer's Market judges, guess who's poster was chosen? My DGD's! and she won the $100 prize also!

I can draw and paint. I bought a Cameo Silhouette for which you can purchase designs on their website for as little as $.50 and cut them out with the Cameo.

I have also used clip art. I have pulled up images on Goggle and just traced over the monitor screen of what I wanted and cut them out by hand. What ever works. Just don't use licensed designs. I think it's best to use something you come up with yourself if you can. I love the idea or having children draw for you!

Last edited by quiltjoey; 06-01-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

it takes time and patience. start with bug first, they come out cute and you can make them up as you go a long.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM

when I draw every day, I can draw. when I let it slide, it will then take a week or more to get the skill going. I did a still life a day in hi school and by the end of the first month it would take 2-3 minutes to draw one, up til then it was a mess or lots of erasures. it takes practice for both your eye and you hand.

my avatar Is a mug hug. the mug sits in it as well as on it. I usually make them without drawing because I think "in the round". I sculpt better than I draw.

Last edited by nancia; 06-09-2014 at 10:38 AM.