Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you draw whimsy? >

Can you draw whimsy?

Can you draw whimsy?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:50 AM

Almost any picture can be used to applique. Just trace around it, and add details. There are some newer machines that you can use to scan a picture, then it will cut the applique for you.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
Both of my parents could draw and oil paint. I didn't get a bit of talent from either of them....and I wanted to draw in the worst way.
This past Sunday, we were reminded that we ALL have gifts, just not all the same. You obviously must have gifts that led you to quilting. My mom and sisters were all gifted with the ability to grow things. I kill anything I plant.
Rely on coloring books and kids' coloring pictures online to get your pictures. Have fun.

Last edited by GailG; 06-10-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
When I was in 7th grade art class we had to paint a still life of an orange, an apple and a vase. The art teacher told me not to bother trying a second time, that it wouldn't help because I had no talent (she was really mean).
What a horrible monster!!! I hate that so much, I really really resent adults that squish creativity in children like that. Or in anybody for that matter. This really makes me mad!! I realize this was not recent but - arrgh! This person should NOT be an art teacher with an attitude like that. *little bit of steam comes out my ears*

I think you SHOULD try again! If you want to, anyway. That teacher flat out lied to you, there is no reason you can't draw or paint whatever the heck you want, and the more you draw and paint, the better you'll get at making your hands follow the creations in your mind.

Kind of how I'm trying to improve my FMQ-ing right now but my brain and my hands haven't yet come to an agreement on how that all goes together, LOL. I don't care if it's not perfect or even "right" in the meantime, and anybody who want to look at my work and tell me there's no point in trying to improve anymore deserves a slap. I'm not going to stop and if someone doesn't like it then they can just go look at something else. So there!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 AM

I can't draw to save my life. I can't even do block lettering. Luckily for me all four of my best friends did at least a year of art school (one actually got an art degree) so if I am in need of something, I can almost always get them to draw something out for me. We actually do a lot of trading. The friend with the art degree wanted a quilt for her new home so I told her I would make it if she designed my Christmas cards for me this year.

My cards were the talk of the family and she loves her new quilt!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Graph paper, tracing paper and a ruler are my best friends. The paint brush artist gene missed me but I like to think I received a little extra in the creative gene department.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I was the cartoonist for the high school paper. I can draw and love to do it. My daughter is the same way. My father painted with oils. I love to doodle. I haven't used my ability in quilting yet, though. I took college art classes in high school. I still have all my cartoons from my high school paper. They were pretty good, not as good as I thought I was at that age, though. I am better now. I have drawing paper everywhere in the house. I am great at cartoons and still life. I don't like to oil paint. But I would love to incorporate my drawing into my quilting somehow. I love to applique, so maybe I'll try to use my own ideas and make a wall hanging.