Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you explain textured thread to me? >

Can you explain textured thread to me?

Can you explain textured thread to me?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Default Can you explain textured thread to me?

I am using more and more thread and thought I should buy larger cones..they seem to be sold by "texture" rather than weight? I looked this up on the internet and all I gleaned from that was that each company thinks theirs is the best! Can anyone just put this into simple terms for me, please? I am mainly interested in bobbin and piecing thread..thanks!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 AM

I don't understand what you mean. Can you give examples of what some of these "textures" are?

I'm familiar with thread weights, but I don't know that I've heard of textures.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Agree with Peckish, not sure what you are referring to. I see lots of large cones for sale in what I consider to be "standard" quilting thread.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I don't think you mean texture, you mean TEX, which is a different scale for thread measurement. Here's a link to the C&C site with several links to charts and explanations of thread size and weight.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/...hread+Size.htm
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM

Here is just 1 example..but many companies are advertising their thread this way...

http://www.sarlafibers.com/textured-...?reloaded=true
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I don't think you mean texture, you mean TEX, which is a different scale for thread measurement. Here's a link to the C&C site with several links to charts and explanations of thread size and weight.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/...hread+Size.htm
Usually, you want a thin thread for piecing, like a 50 weight or lighter. For quilting, it depends on the 'look' you are after some prefer a heavy thread that really stands out, others prefer a lighter weight. It really is an individual preference. I would get smaller spools and see what you and your machine like best.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

The closest I could come to threads sold by texture (searching on internet) was textured threads - https://www.guetermann.com/shop/en/v...turied-Threads - which are not appropriate for quilting. But I don't think this is what you mean. For piecing, I use a lightweight thread such as Bottomline in both top and bobbin.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
Here is just 1 example..but many companies are advertising their thread this way...

http://www.sarlafibers.com/textured-...?reloaded=true
I took a look at that website, and that appears - to me, at least - to be a wholesale supplier of industrial thread meant for manufacturing. The use of the word "textured" could be an inside industry term, who knows what it really means. It could just mean twisted, which is normal and nothing new to the world of quilting.

You can buy large cones of thread from Superior Threads, and I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations for other brands also. I happen to be a Superior girl. I like King Tut for quilting, it's a 40-wt and is available in 500 yd and 2000 yd cones. For piecing and applique, I'm in love with Bottom Line, a 60-wt thread available in 1420 yd spools, 3000 yd cones and 33,000 yd cones. Bottom Line is great in the bobbin because it's so fine it takes forever to empty a bobbin.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 PM

From the web sites, it appears TEX is the shortened name for textured. It refers to strength. The faster a machine operates and the needed tension on the thread to get a reliable stitch affect how much TEX is needed in a thread to work on a given machine. The way my Gammill is set it needs 28 TEX minimum. When I shop for cone thread, I'm looking for that number. I've noticed that more companies are listing TEX on the label....sure helps.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:53 PM

Thank you all...I didn't get it, but now i do!