Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you spray baste fleece? And how to tack it? >

Can you spray baste fleece? And how to tack it?

Can you spray baste fleece? And how to tack it?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Unhappy Can you spray baste fleece? And how to tack it?

I was going to make throws for the four "kids" and spouses. Got minky about 3 yrs ago to back them but never got them even started. Med blue dotted minky and white same. This year finally got panels and coord fabrics to make the tops. Not happy with minky colors. The two guys' fabric is 1) dogs and 2) wild life buffalo, lots of browns. Yesterday at Kroger got 2 dk brn fleece throws to use instead of the minky. So....can I use spray basting to sandwich the guys? I'm not even sure to call it "fleece"....it's labeled "Super Soft Plush Throw" 100% Polyester. If so, I'd put the top down, spray this fabric and then put the fleece on top of it?

I think spray basting will work on the girls' fabric w minky back. If so, same.....fabric down, spray it and then minky on top? I think someone said the spray wouldn't stick to the minky if I put it down, spray, then fabric on top.

OR.....should I try basting with the Elmer's glue process.....dribble thin lines, press and let dry? I was nervous enough about working with the minky.....and it's getting worse!!

Question 2: I can try to do more or less STID on inner borders on panels to hold the 2 layers together but think will need something in the large areas of the panels, esp, to tack together. Tried practicing fmq and trust me, it ain't pretty!!! So I'm wondering how to use some kind of a stitch to tack layers together in the large spaces. I have a vintage Necchi Supernova that has the capability to do one design at a time but it's not cleaned up and ready to go. I might try just doing a dec stitch in a small circle or triangle as a tack and then move to next one.

The girls' panels are the Michael Miller fairy panels-l large and small ones along the side. At this point I'll be lucky to get the 2 out-of-towners done by 23rd (our Christmas day). Plus the new landlady decided to change all the windows in our building this week. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed! TIA for all advice!!
Polly
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Spray basting on minky or any fleece did not work well for me. The furryness of the fabric did not hold the pieces together. I have only had good results with minky using a ton of pins and placing them close together. The minky is very slippery and stretchy. I vowed never to use it again for quilting, to difficult and time consuming to handle it without bunching and having lots of litttle tucks.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks, RJ! That's what I was afraid of!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM

You can always tie the quilt or use buttons that lay flat.