Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter Star quilting help needed please

The L or V shaped areas in the corners- IMHO- are also asking for feathers. Curved shapes in the remaining squares, diamonds, and triangles would allow the feathers to shine. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful!!!!

I agree with Dunster something a little more simple.

Power Poster
    I love your feathers and I think simple cross hatching in the other areas will let your feather shine.

I second cross hatching!
    ~Laura

Wise words from my 7 year old niece: "Aunt Laura, you must think you can't have too much fabric like a pizza can't have too much cheese." Well said, Gracie!

I love it so far but agree that it needs quilting in the other areas. love the simple curves idea

OOPs didn't read all the way - cross hatching would also look nice. I could be wrong but always understood that the quilting needed to be consistent (density wise or close) over the whole quilt. I am thinking that if you didn't quilt in the open areas that might be an issue later on????

Agree with Dunster only take it a step further with that diamond filled with curved crosshatching. Curved crosshatch would also fill those triangle units quite nicely. You need to get a curved template for that though. I would not attempt it without using the curved crosshatch ruler template. I have Ronda's ruler sold at Quilters Rule. I have the medium and the large crescent as well as the large double S (which I have yet to use).

http://www.quiltersrule.com/template...dasRulers.html

Edited to add, you feathers are beautiful and look great on this Carpenter's star.

I have decided to do straight cross hatching in the background with an lelele in the skinny background colored border. I will start marking n quilting the CH tomorrow. Thank you all so much!

Hope you will post an updated photo. I'm curious to see how it turned out.

Pic of Back on Frame still

Here's a picture of the first run of cross hatching. I just have a pic of the back/bottom still on the frame. But I think it is looking good. My first time cross hatching, takes time, but I think I really like it!

Thanks for all the input. And I will post more pics when my markings are off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails web-start-cross-hatch-bottom.jpg  
    Last edited by knlsmith; 01-13-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast