Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight-line Quilting for Carpenter's Star?

Straight-line Quilting for Carpenter's Star?

I can meander or do straight-line quilting and had thought I'd just do the meander once again for the 100th time but then wondered about doing horizontal rows for a more modern look? The Carpenter's Star or Wheel is not what I'd call modern. If I do either one, would you recommend STD first? I would like this to come out nicely as its meant for a gift and I've never done the straight-line rows. Are they typically about 1/2" apart?
    mea

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a plan

I do lots of straight line quilting. I prefer vertical lines and generally do them 1" apart. I suggest you start with that spacing and if you then feel it needs more, go back and add another line in between which will give you 1/2" spacing. You can do SID first, but I usually don't with 1" or less spacing.
    I think straight line quilting looks great on any quilt.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I just don't really get our 'obsession' with stitching in the ditch.
    * It's nearly impossible to do really, really well.
    * After all that work, the stitching -- which *could* be a design potential in a quilt -- is now virtually invisible and hides all that hard work.
    * Then if you want to add design thru stitching (as you want to in this case), you have to double your effort by stitching all over again.

Why not just do the horizontal stitching in the first place? Or even better, how about a diagonal or other design?! I've actually done 4 of these and loved the look.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Jan I love your straight line patterns! I have also done a vertical chevron pattern that came out good too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I just don't really get our 'obsession' with stitching in the ditch.
    * It's nearly impossible to do really, really well.
    * After all that work, the stitching -- which *could* be a design potential in a quilt -- is now virtually invisible and hides all that hard work.
    * Then if you want to add design thru stitching (as you want to in this case), you have to double your effort by stitching all over again.

Why not just do the horizontal stitching in the first place? Or even better, how about a diagonal or other design?! I've actually done 4 of these and loved the look.

Jan in VA
    Jan,
    Thank you for those suggestions. I am going to be doing a log cabin wall hanging next year for a wedding gift and had been wondering how I was going to quilt it.

Jan, these are great suggestions! thank you so much and also I do hate STD. normally i just meander or stipple so even tho the CW lends itself to that very well, I think I like options #1, 2 and 5. Lots of turning/futzing/shoving with option 1 but that would really look nice. Jeanne, thank you for giving me the 1" guide for straight-line. Makes perfect sense.
    mea

I rather enjoy quilting straight lines that enhance the piecing of a quilt. It might take a little longer with marking the quilt. I use what is called a Hera marker made by Clover sold at JAF. EB has used it on her PBS TV show. It makes a crease in the fabric. Good Luck/
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Also, the 1" guide is just a guide, it could be 2" or 2.5" if you have that size ruler?????? Ahhh Also #1 picture provided by Jan could be accomplished by only doing a guardant at a time.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

mea, Here is an example of the last quilt I did, and quilted straight lines 1" apart. You can see the lines a little better from the back side view, I washed the quilt before taking the photos so the crinkling obscures them a little. Hope that helps.
    Name:  P1110711.jpg
Views: 2175
Size:  100.0 KBName:  P1110713.jpg
Views: 2169
Size:  64.3 KB

I am all for straight lines. Guess I don't think outside the box. Jan, #4 is my favorite. Just adds a certain pizazz. Thank you so much for these guides.
    All my grand-children have paws.

Jeanne S, I like your quilt so much that I have gotten the pattern, am cutting my scrap batiks and I have ordered some Kona for the enters and squares. Now that you have shown the quilting, I am doubly impressed.....Thank you, so much, for sharing this..... I do not have a LA so either have to send this out or do it myself. I may do it myself now!!!!

I have done straight line quilting on several Carpenter Star quilts (which is my favourite pattern) & they have turned out
    great. I feel (IMHO) that sometimes, depending on the quilt pattern, meandering or other intricate designs really take away from the beautiful quilt pattern, that's just my opinion. You can do lots of straight line designs & it just takes some thought at which one will enhance the pattern. Don't be afraid to try it.
    Dance like no one is watching

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    Jeanne S, I like your quilt so much that I have gotten the pattern, am cutting my scrap batiks and I have ordered some Kona for the enters and squares. Now that you have shown the quilting, I am doubly impressed.....Thank you, so much, for sharing this..... I do not have a LA so either have to send this out or do it myself. I may do it myself now!!!!
    I am so glad you are making one like this. The straight line quilting on this one is very easy and I did not even mark the lines because the pattern finishes in 2" strips, so I just followed the design seams straight down. I did all these lines at 2" spacing, then it was really easy to go back and add a line in the middle of those to get the final 1" spacing. I hate to mark quilts so usually just "eyeball" it using the pattern seams as spacing references.

cjr
    I too hate stitching in the ditch. No good at it. I use a domestic machine that i both sew and quilt on. Jan good advise as always. I do a lot of cross hatching; it works very well for me, usually 3-7 inches apart,
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

Blog Entries
    More and more I find myself using echo quilting because I am happy with it right now. I may branch out or not because I am happiest doing the piecing. If I could quilt them all by check, I would. If your quilting makes you happy, use what ever feels right.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Lovely quilt, Jeanne! The pieced back is terrific. :-)

Thank you for the suggestions, Jan. I think I'm going to try more straight line quilting, too. Do you switch the directions with each row?
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
    I am all for straight lines. Guess I don't think outside the box. Jan, #4 is my favorite. Just adds a certain pizazz. Thank you so much for these guides.
    Actually, fivepaws, I believe straight lines ARE thinking outside the current box, just not as STD. I love all the designs I posted and the straight line designs others have posted!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills

Quote Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
    Lovely quilt, Jeanne! The pieced back is terrific. :-)
    Thank you for the suggestions, Jan. I think I'm going to try more straight line quilting, too. Do you switch the directions with each row?
    Usually, yes, I switch direction. But, if the top is well basted (I mostly, but not always, baste by hand with thread) and if I'm using a walking foot, I don't worry quite as much.

I stitch the easiest way, lifting the needle at the end of a row, moving over. heading in another path.

And, with straight stitching (SS) I can often start my line of quilting just off the edge of the quilt, in the extra batting, and forget that "6-close-together-stitches-to-start-or-end" dictum (sugessted by Harriet Hargrave years ago)....saves a little bit of time over the whole quilt.

I'm telling you, most of my secrets come because I'm the laziest quilter ever!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills

I love this discussion because I have felt very inadequate as I don't know how to do FMQ. I've just done SS on everything I make or STD.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    I love this discussion because I have felt very inadequate as I don't know how to do FMQ. I've just done SS on everything I make or STD.
    Me too! I use my walking foot on all quilting, but fortunately I prefer a more modern quilt look and like straight line or wavy line quilting. I just can't seem to get the hang of FMQ.

Jeanne S. My Kona arrived today and all my batiks are cut....thank you for the tips on quilting. It should work out just fine......I'm looking forward to the finished product!

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    Jeanne S. My Kona arrived today and all my batiks are cut....thank you for the tips on quilting. It should work out just fine......I'm looking forward to the finished product!
    yeah! It goes together fast. Will look forward to seeing yours!

Straight Quilting for Big Star

Here is the quilting that I did for a big star which would be in the center of the Carpenter Star. I wanted the quilt/comfort to be soft and fluffy so just quilted about every four inches....yes, I did stitch in the ditch around the star (petals).
    Attached Images Attached Images

TGood, , love the quilt and quilting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast