Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Straight-line Quilting for Carpenter's Star? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straight-line-quilting-carpenters-star-t258417.html)

mea12 12-18-2014 02:49 PM

Straight-line Quilting for Carpenter's Star?

I can meander or do straight-line quilting and had thought I'd just do the meander once again for the 100th time but then wondered about doing horizontal rows for a more modern look? The Carpenter's Star or Wheel is not what I'd call modern. If I do either one, would you recommend STD first? I would like this to come out nicely as its meant for a gift and I've never done the straight-line rows. Are they typically about 1/2" apart?

tatavw01 12-18-2014 04:13 PM

Sounds like a plan

Jeanne S 12-18-2014 04:32 PM

I do lots of straight line quilting. I prefer vertical lines and generally do them 1" apart. I suggest you start with that spacing and if you then feel it needs more, go back and add another line in between which will give you 1/2" spacing. You can do SID first, but I usually don't with 1" or less spacing.
I think straight line quilting looks great on any quilt.

Jan in VA 12-18-2014 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just don't really get our 'obsession' with stitching in the ditch.
* It's nearly impossible to do really, really well. :thumbdown:
* After all that work, the stitching -- which *could* be a design potential in a quilt -- is now virtually invisible and hides all that hard work. :(
* Then if you want to add design thru stitching (as you want to in this case), you have to double your effort by stitching all over again. :shock:

Why not just do the horizontal stitching in the first place? Or even better, how about a diagonal or other design?! :) I've actually done 4 of these and loved the look.

Jan in VA

Jeanne S 12-18-2014 05:25 PM

Jan I love your straight line patterns! I have also done a vertical chevron pattern that came out good too.

sandy l 12-19-2014 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7013284)
I just don't really get our 'obsession' with stitching in the ditch.
* It's nearly impossible to do really, really well. :thumbdown:
* After all that work, the stitching -- which *could* be a design potential in a quilt -- is now virtually invisible and hides all that hard work. :(
* Then if you want to add design thru stitching (as you want to in this case), you have to double your effort by stitching all over again. :shock:

Why not just do the horizontal stitching in the first place? Or even better, how about a diagonal or other design?! :) I've actually done 4 of these and loved the look.

Jan in VA

Jan,
Thank you for those suggestions. I am going to be doing a log cabin wall hanging next year for a wedding gift and had been wondering how I was going to quilt it.

mea12 12-19-2014 04:52 AM

Jan, these are great suggestions! thank you so much and also I do hate STD. normally i just meander or stipple so even tho the CW lends itself to that very well, I think I like options #1, 2 and 5. Lots of turning/futzing/shoving with option 1 but that would really look nice. Jeanne, thank you for giving me the 1" guide for straight-line. Makes perfect sense.

ManiacQuilter2 12-19-2014 06:07 AM

I rather enjoy quilting straight lines that enhance the piecing of a quilt. It might take a little longer with marking the quilt. I use what is called a Hera marker made by Clover sold at JAF. EB has used it on her PBS TV show. It makes a crease in the fabric. Good Luck/

AZ Jane 12-20-2014 07:13 AM

Also, the 1" guide is just a guide, it could be 2" or 2.5" if you have that size ruler?????? Ahhh Also #1 picture provided by Jan could be accomplished by only doing a guardant at a time.

Jeanne S 12-20-2014 08:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
mea, Here is an example of the last quilt I did, and quilted straight lines 1" apart. You can see the lines a little better from the back side view, I washed the quilt before taking the photos so the crinkling obscures them a little. Hope that helps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503128[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503129[/ATTACH]