Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat in the store? >

Cat in the store?

Cat in the store?

Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 PM

I am super sensitive to cigarette smoke, making shopping difficult at many stores ..... including a couple of nearby fabric stores. So I can understand your situation. I wash all fabric before using for just this reason, sometimes taking it directly to the washing machine. I wish there was some solution to these problems.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I on occasion visit a shop in the Upper Peninsula where they have cats (more than 1- maybe 3...multiple anyway) they *try* to keep in a separate room (the shop is on the end of their house) but on occasion the cats manage to visit the shop- I was surprised the first time I saw that- since then I've visited many small independent shops that have their (Pets) laying around- I think that *I guess* it is the owners choice- but they should probably post something on their door letting people know before entering that they may encounter the animal- or their may be hair/allergens. it is not uncommon though to find these shops- on the other side of this 'coin' I was in a shop one time when a customer entered and before she got 5 feet inside the store the owner approached her and told her she could not come in because she wore too much perfume- *that one shocked me way more than finding a cat laying on a shelf!!!* this owner did not have the best reputation in the customer service- friendly area- but she sure carried some wonderful stuff.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Just think it was a flea in a bale of wool that spread the plaque. Of course that wouldn't happen today but I think as the fabric is being solid as new to see a cat sleeping on it would make it second hand.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 PM

The cat on the cutting table would be a deal breaker for me. Think about where that cats feet have been...
Old 02-26-2014, 03:54 PM

I'm allergic to cats, but i have 2 and can't imagine living without them. I just take allergy drugs around the clock (I had to do that even without cats in my house). I've also been in 3-4 fabric shops that had cats, some that had dogs, too. I saw one quilt with a quote on it - "Cat hair increases the insulating value of a quilt."
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM

There's a nice shop near me in a barn...between the dogs that roam in and out and the wool products near the front door, I'm just about done in after a short period of time. Every time by the time I leave, I have such itchy eyes. She has nice things (fabrics, punch needle etc) for sale but between that and the fact that most everything doesn't have a price tag or signs letting you know how much the items are for sale, I can do without shopping there.

There is also a furniture store that always has about five big labs that sleep on the furniture and run and greet people as they enter in our area. My DH is not much of a dog person, didn't grow up with them and that really bugs him. It does seem like an unusual situation.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM

There is a Garden/Craft store with a fabric section and they have a cat in there. I have found it on the bolts or tucked in by the fabric. It doesn't bother me as I have 3 of my own, but I often wondered how it would affect someone with allergies. A nearby Mill End store had a cat named Millie that wandered around their store. When it closed she went to another mill End store.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I sometimes let my cats sleep on quilts that I have made for myself, but I want something that will leave my house to be hair free, and take steps to keep them from these projects. I cannot imagine someone else's pet leaving hair on fabric that I have not even purchased. Also, someone else made the point about fleas in the bolts. Yuck.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

There is a quilt shop here I will not go to. I walked in and smelled cat right away. I asked to make sure and I got a glance straight down a little hallway with a litter box at the end. I just walked. When I got to my car, I had to brush cat hair off me. I was not a happy quilter. I called her and told her my experience and she was offended. Oh Well I will not go back. The only place a pet belongs is at a vets office or a pet store. Not in a quilt shop!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM

I'm super allergic to cats so I'd have to skip that store. I'd politely tell them that too ... "I just LOVE your store, but I'm so allergic to cats, I'm going to have to go."