Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat in the store? >

Cat in the store?

Cat in the store?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Our LQS was in business for 42 years, it is now an on line only shop. They had 2 cats that lived in the shop, that were loved by all. She had over 7000 bolts of fabric, and never got a complaint. I never saw cat hair anywhere. The building was right on the square, and had been a J C Penny's, 3 floors and an old building, they might have been there to keep mice away, I don't know.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 PM

I have to admit that I am guilty of taking the dog with me when I shop. I work long hours, and I drop him off at my moms during the week. There are a lot of stores that allow pets. I put him on a towel in the wagon. I haven't thought of people with allergies.. I have been taking him for the past nine years.. I am very sorry for not thinking about others..
Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

It's feet and it's butt. They do sit!
Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
The cat on the cutting table would be a deal breaker for me. Think about where that cats feet have been...
Old 02-26-2014, 04:45 PM

My LQS also has a cat. It's well behaved and doesn't travel much as it's older. I'm allergic but not so that it kills me. Since I prewash I don't care and every LQS has their own personality.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Allergies seem to be a growing concern. I've had pets my entire life and they don't bother me though my wife is allergic to cats. My view is it would be good if the shop owners put a sign up warning people about their pets but I think it comes down to it's their store, they can do what they want and I think at least some would close before they gave up on bringing their pets.
Rodney
Old 02-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I'd rather see a cat in the shop then a gum chewing, gum popping owner. I will walk out in a second saying why on my way out.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM

I don't own a cat, but it wouldn't bother me. As soon as I come in the door, all fabric goes into the washer the same as bed sheets or any other item that may be close to the skin. Then, whether it's cats or whatever else that could be in the fabric is washed (hopefully) away. Most, if not all of these fabrics come from other countries in containers so who knows what they have been exposed to. Toby Bean can come to my house anytime too, my Penny would to play with him.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM

I haven't seen a pet in a quilt store - but would not want to buy fabric that the pets have been around. I love animals but think the owners don't mind the lost sells.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

I have been to LQSs where a cat took up residence and since I am not allergic I found it charming. The little tiger was getting lots of attention from the customers. I STRONGLY doubt that any cats in a store will have fleas or other issues. Can't say that I noticed an issue with cat hair on the fabric either....but then I have cats and probably no longer notice.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 PM

My local quilt store usually has "Martha" the cat lying around the store. I myself, was wondering about people with cat allergies - do they get sick if the cat touches the fabrics??