Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window backing fabric >

Cathedral Window backing fabric

Cathedral Window backing fabric

Old 07-17-2014, 06:23 PM

Default Cathedral Window backing fabric

My mom has wanted to make a cw quilt for quite some time now and the only thing stopping her is she doesn't know what kind of fabric to use because she doesn't want to use muslin (she says it wears to quickly and if she's going to make one it's going to last forever) and she wants it to be black. I was wondering if she could use a broadcloth like this one (https://www.fabric.com/buy/bcr-002/c...oadcloth-black). The final quilt will be big enough for her full sized bed which amounts to 19 yards which is why she's shying away from regular quilting cotton. If cotton broadcloth won't work, any other suggestions?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 PM

Personally I would be leery of using fabric that inexpensive. I made a small one out of muslin -- it looked really nice and I think will wear just fine. It amazes me how much fabric that quilt takes but they are beautiful! Black would look nice with brights.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Broadcloth is fairly inexpensive but you have to watch for fiber content. It isn't always all cotton. A good quality muslin will probably wear as well as broadcloth.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM

Not all muslins are created equal, a good-quality muslin will work just as well as quilting cotton. However, if she wants black and insists on not using muslin, you should look at Kaufman Kona or Moda Bella. Both are good quality cottons and usually run about $7/yard.

Last edited by Peckish; 07-17-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

I am using a vast array of white on white fabrics, so I didn't have to settle on one large investment. I started with what I had, then when I visit quilt shops I pick up fat quarters of ones they have that catch my eye. (Or yards if I know I will want it for other projects) there are some wonderful good quality muslins on the market too, and muslin dyes well , she could dye her own (although a good black is one of the harder ones to achieve). Kona black is one of the best for not fading and standing the test of time
Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Not all muslins are created equal, a good-quality muslin will work just as well as quilting cotton. However, if she wants black and insists on not using muslin, you should look at Kaufman Kona or Moda Bella. Both are good quality cottons and usually run about $7/yard.
I agree with Peckish - when I did my pillow I felt that I wanted something other than muslin - I used Kona White.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:34 AM

So I hope this isn't a silly question, but if I were to buy my mom say 1/3 of the yardage she would need of kona black for Christmas this year then buy another 1/3 for say mother's day and the last 1/3 for Christmas next year (she won't finish it that fast), the black would all be the same black right? I've worked with yarn before and you need to watch the dye lot number.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:01 AM

I think Kona colors are pretty consistent from bolt to bolt. It would be a bummer if for some crazy reason you could not find it or get it when you wanted to purchase it. I might be tempted to purchase it all tog if you could and then give it to her in thirds. That way you would be positive that it would match and that you have it.......Just my thoughts.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:35 AM

You do need to be careful of dye lots with fabric. Making it with black would be very nice.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I hope your mother has great eyes! Working with black can be challenging for some of us.

I checked out the link provided in the original post. CW is ***so*** much work, I would not risk using such an inexpensive, no-name broadcloth. Without actually trying it out, you have no idea what its actual color is (there are washed-out looking blacks), how much color it will retain after washing (some blacks lose depth), how it will shrink (non-brand-name cottons can have weird shrinking and wrinkling characteristics), how it will wear, etc. For a CW quilt, you want reasonably high-quality fabric. There are high-quality muslins on the market, but they do not come in black. All blacks you will find will be a broadcloth weave. I don't know why this is, but it is what I have found.

There is no guarantee with any brand that blacks (or any other color) purchased at different times will match exactly. Often they will vary somewhat in tone and color. I would definitely purchase all of the backing fabric at the same time, and over-buy in case there are some mistakes before the quilt is finished.

I agree with using a name-brand black.

Michael Miller Jet Black is my favorite black because it is deeper and darker than other blacks and it has a very nice hand. https://www.fabric.com/buy/ej-764/mi...ller-jet-black When compared side-by-side with other blacks, MM JB always wins.

Kaufman Kona tends to have a "meatier" hand than I like for quilts. That is, if you work with it, it feels thicker and heavier than other brand solids. Personally, I don't like it, but it may be exactly what your mother is looking for. The hand of Moda Bella is more like other good quality quilting fabrics but, as I said, I prefer the Michael Miller Jet Black for its deep color.

Is your mother planning to make this quilt by hand or by machine? Some of the above fabrics are probably easier to work with by hand than others. What you might want to do is buy small amounts of several blacks for your mother to try out, then let her decide which one she wants to use.