Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cathedral window

where the navy sends us, for now its Lansing MI
    I am looking for a cathedral window pattern and hoping that someone on here would have one. Please let me know if you have one and would like to share, I have been dying to make one of these quilts for ever!!

ok Moonpi I have read it and read it .. I am not getting it.

Traci is my friend .. and she is crazier than me ..

Those instructions are seriously confusing me! If she gets it .. WOOO watch out!

Blog Entries
    Sunday, March 2d, Chat Room, 2pm eastern USA time.

Cathedral Windows De-Mystified.

Be there, or be square. or rectangular. or half-square triangled. :wink:

send me your e-mail and I will send you pattern not a copy right one
    [email protected]

OOOOOOOh, Patrice, that is a classic!

one a in [email protected]

LOVE YOU PATRICE!!!!! THANKS!

thanks patrice.. that sounds really great, i am blonde and need a few extra mins to figure it out. haha

thanks for the pattern like dawn said this is going to take me a min to get this...

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi

Patrice - you are a nut! Thanks for the laugh.

Here is one more pattern you might like.

http://www.quiltmag.com/proj-tips-cathedral.php

Oh, I wanna be there, but every time I have ever tried to go to the chat room, my internet connection shuts down! :( I just cut 162 squares to be used for a Cathedral Window!

I am not wanting to do a swap, but I am asking if anyone would mind sharing 2.5 inch squares for a cathedral window quilt with a friend of mine. She is wanting to try to do one, her first quilt, I think. I told her I would see how many different ones I could fine for her. However, I could use some help. She wants them to all be different prints, small-med. Just pm me if your interested or let me know what you think about this, Okay. :?

nel

I made one with old denim jeans- the circles were from denim, and the squares with coordinating fabric scraps. I stitched the curves down without turning them under (with denim it would be too difficult. I used a decorative stitch. After washing and drying several times, the curved edges frayed under the stitching for a great effect.

Nel, Your quilt sounds very cool. Please, please post pictures.

Yes Nel, please post a picture, I would love to see it.

That sounds really cool, nel! How big was it and how many pairs of jears did it take?

nel

It is actually in a silent auction basket right now. It was about 60 x 84. I used lots of jeans, probably at least 12 pairs. Some of them were stained or too worn out in areas that couldn't be saved. All of the fabrics were pink so I using a bright pink thread for the decorative stitching. My son cleaned out his closet when he left for college! You can make the circles any size you want. Mine were about 4 to 4 1/2" in diameter. The smaller the circles, the more sewing!!

I now have lots of jean pockets. Any ideas?

nel

It is actually in a silent auction basket right now. It was about 60 x 84. I used lots of jeans, probably at least 12 pairs. Some of them were stained or too worn out in areas that couldn't be saved. All of the fabrics were pink so I usied a bright pink thread for the decorative stitching. My son cleaned out his closet when he left for college! You can make the circles any size you want. Mine were about 4 to 4 1/2" in diameter. The smaller the circles, the more sewing!!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Sunday, March 2d, Chat Room, 2pm eastern USA time.

Cathedral Windows De-Mystified.

Be there, or be square. or rectangular. or half-square triangled. :wink:
    Picture me jumping up and down here!!!! I've already marked my calendar. Thanks Patrice, this is a pattern I've been dying to try and I just need that little extra push to get me going. I made some round cathedral window Christmas tree ornaments. Darn things took 6 hours for each one. I could do those but for some reason can't figure out how to do them flat. :oops: This class sounds perfect for helping me out of this dilemma I've created for myself.
    ~Tiffany

Quote Originally Posted by nel
    I have seen quilts made with jean pockets. The pockets are usually sewn on every other block, often with some kind of decorative stitching across them; like the kind that was so popular back in the 80's. Usually I see them made up for guys but I remember one cute one that was made as a Christmas Advent Calendar.

The only other thing I can come up with for the jean pockets is to use them on the back of your quilts. Sew one onto the back of the quilt next to the label. Add a small zipper or button to keep it shut and then store some fabric from the quilt in it. Then, if anything happens to the quilt and you need some of the original fabric to fix it, you'll have it on the back in your jean pocket. And since the fabric was washed with the quilt, it should match the front fabric perfectly.
    ~Tiffany

that sounds soo cool, thanks for the great idea

I made one with old denim jeans- the circles were from denim, and the squares with coordinating fabric scraps. I stitched the curves down without turning them under (with denim it would be too difficult. I used a decorative stitch. After washing and drying several times, the curved edges frayed under the stitching for a great effect.

Another idea for the jean pockets.. is you can put them on a quilt and then put fun little things in it like a quiet book but a quilt for babies. They can lay on their tummy and pull things out of the pockets... say little toys that are pretty falt of course, and then as they scoot and move around the quilt they can find all sorts of little "treasures". Just an idea...

It is actually in a silent auction basket right now. It was about 60 x 84. I used lots of jeans, probably at least 12 pairs. Some of them were stained or too worn out in areas that couldn't be saved. All of the fabrics were pink so I usied a bright pink thread for the decorative stitching. My son cleaned out his closet when he left for college! You can make the circles any size you want. Mine were about 4 to 4 1/2" in diameter. The smaller the circles, the more sewing!!

I am working on my first cathedral windows......I did a small throw pillow to get practice, and see if I would be able to master this technique. I loved doing it. My cathedral windows is being done in black and white. I have several different black/white small prints in the windows. It is going to take me forever, but I have a lot of patience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast