Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cathedral window >

cathedral window

cathedral window

Old 02-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Sunday, March 2d, Chat Room, 2pm eastern USA time.

Cathedral Windows De-Mystified.

Be there, or be square. or rectangular. or half-square triangled. :wink:
Picture me jumping up and down here!!!! I've already marked my calendar. Thanks Patrice, this is a pattern I've been dying to try and I just need that little extra push to get me going. I made some round cathedral window Christmas tree ornaments. Darn things took 6 hours for each one. I could do those but for some reason can't figure out how to do them flat. :oops: This class sounds perfect for helping me out of this dilemma I've created for myself.
~Tiffany
Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by nel
I now have lots of jean pockets. Any ideas?
I have seen quilts made with jean pockets. The pockets are usually sewn on every other block, often with some kind of decorative stitching across them; like the kind that was so popular back in the 80's. Usually I see them made up for guys but I remember one cute one that was made as a Christmas Advent Calendar.

The only other thing I can come up with for the jean pockets is to use them on the back of your quilts. Sew one onto the back of the quilt next to the label. Add a small zipper or button to keep it shut and then store some fabric from the quilt in it. Then, if anything happens to the quilt and you need some of the original fabric to fix it, you'll have it on the back in your jean pocket. And since the fabric was washed with the quilt, it should match the front fabric perfectly.
~Tiffany
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM

that sounds soo cool, thanks for the great idea

Originally Posted by nel
I made one with old denim jeans- the circles were from denim, and the squares with coordinating fabric scraps. I stitched the curves down without turning them under (with denim it would be too difficult. I used a decorative stitch. After washing and drying several times, the curved edges frayed under the stitching for a great effect.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:32 AM

Another idea for the jean pockets.. is you can put them on a quilt and then put fun little things in it like a quiet book but a quilt for babies. They can lay on their tummy and pull things out of the pockets... say little toys that are pretty falt of course, and then as they scoot and move around the quilt they can find all sorts of little "treasures". Just an idea...

Originally Posted by nel
It is actually in a silent auction basket right now. It was about 60 x 84. I used lots of jeans, probably at least 12 pairs. Some of them were stained or too worn out in areas that couldn't be saved. All of the fabrics were pink so I usied a bright pink thread for the decorative stitching. My son cleaned out his closet when he left for college! You can make the circles any size you want. Mine were about 4 to 4 1/2" in diameter. The smaller the circles, the more sewing!!

I now have lots of jean pockets. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:18 PM

I am working on my first cathedral windows......I did a small throw pillow to get practice, and see if I would be able to master this technique. I loved doing it. My cathedral windows is being done in black and white. I have several different black/white small prints in the windows. It is going to take me forever, but I have a lot of patience.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-50618.jpe  
Old 02-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Here is a picture of an advent calendar I made for my two great-grandsons. It has pockets, and the denim pockets would be a nice twist.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-50842.jpe  
Old 02-10-2008, 08:11 PM

Love that pink cathedral pillow! I had made my grandsons denim quilts out of all the old jeans my hubby had. Some I turned the fabric wrong side out and I put pockets on them. Put little cars and stuff in the pockets but they fell out too easily. I sewed velcro at the pockets edges and they turned out great!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM

That sounds so cute.. I want to see. Please post some pics of that!!

Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe
Love that pink cathedral pillow! I had made my grandsons denim quilts out of all the old jeans my hubby had. Some I turned the fabric wrong side out and I put pockets on them. Put little cars and stuff in the pockets but they fell out too easily. I sewed velcro at the pockets edges and they turned out great!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:18 PM

skacian I think that pillow is cute, I hope mine turns out that good.. lol. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 AM

I love your cathedral windows pillow and that is a great idea to start on a small project! I always think big. I'll make the king size quilt and then work on the table or dresser topper. I need to reverse my thinking and start with the smaller project first. I know, duh! :roll:

I love your advent calander. I can easily picture it done with jean pockets. My grandson will be here for Christmas when he is two, which is really when the fun starts for this holiday, and I bet he would LOVE to pick a present out of a jean pocket every day while at Grammy's. :D Thank you for the picture Shirley.
~Tiffany