Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral window pattern for a jacket? >

Cathedral window pattern for a jacket?

Cathedral window pattern for a jacket?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Has anyone seen or made a jacket using the cathedral window pattern? My MIL saw someone wearing such a jacket and has dreamed of having one of her own ever since. I'm very new at quilting, although my MIL did teach me how to hand sew cathedral windows back in the early 80's (I admit that I never completed the pillow that I started). If there is a pattern for making such a jacket, I thought you folks might point me in the right direction -- thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Ok, I am so glad there is a catagory "mini" quilt. I quit my 4 inch folded to 2 in cathedral window "mini" quilt( my avitar)
It is beautiful! and labor intensive... I can not imagine cutting the quilt for a jacket.
I would love to see it when you do this ! and .. it will be worth a million !
Old 03-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Let me check and see if I have it. Hope I can remember where I put my pattern book.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I would not attempt this without some garment construction experience, I would look for a commercial pattern for a boxy jacket, like this one:
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m582...hp?page_id=115
Look for one with no darts or any seams other than the sides, suitable for quilted fabric. On the sample link above, I'd skip the collar and would not plan on button holes. You could use frogs or other fabric loops to make closures. Since you are only going to get one shot, I would make a sample jacket from the pattern using something like fleece to make sure the jacket will fit. Make enough cathedral window 'fabric' for each pattern piece. I would machine sew the blocks using the tutorial found on this board rather than sewing them by hand. Say a prayer, then cut the pattern pieces and zigzag all the cut edges. If there are any facing pieces, cut them from unpieced yardage. Construct the jacket & line it.

I would also look in quilting stores for a jacket pattern suitable for quilted fabric.
Here's one from Nancy'S Notions:
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ket+pattern.do

Maybe someone will have an exact pattern.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the great advice and links. I think this may be WAY beyond my skill level right now, but I can always work my way into it OR my MIL can tackle this as a project as she is a very accomplished seamstress AND quilter and she's always looking for a project of one sort or another...anyway, thanks! :D
Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...-window-jacket

Is the above what you had in mind?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Oooh! Isn't that pretty?! It's dressier than what I think my MIL had seen or has in mind, but different fabrics would definitely change the look of the jacket. So...thanks for the link! Have you tried making such a jacket? Has anyone?