Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
changing my way of thinking >

changing my way of thinking

changing my way of thinking

Old 08-29-2014, 05:45 AM

As a longarm quilter my goal is always to enhance the client's piecing not show off my quilting. That is why getting the clients input on the quilting is a priority for me rather than having them drop the top off and have them say do whatever. I have found careful questioning will reveal they have at least some likes or dislikes. The type of batting will also greatly influence the softness or stiffness of a heavily quilted quilt. If it's intended for show it seems like heavier quilting is desired.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:47 AM

I appreciate both styles, For some the dense quilting adds to the design and creates a theme other quilts look better softer and more relaxed looking.

For an example...30s style quilts shouldn't be quilted with a lot of intense quilting (IMHO) that would make them look uptight and rigid. But a Hawaiian applique stands out with the close echoing round the motif...makes me think of waves. So it depends.

Last edited by Treasureit; 08-29-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Tastes change as we age. It's true with food as well.
I have not been attracted to crazy quilts in the past, but I saw one just yesterday that was stunning. It's funny how that happens.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:11 AM

Quilting is appealing to me because there are an infinite number of variables. But,I still love the simply pieced,hand quilted ones. They likely take as much time as the intricately quilted ones.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 AM

I think it depends on the type of quilt most quilts I see heavily quilted are for show not utilitarian use. They have their own use. Also I heard batting makes a difference in how cuddly a heavily quilted quilt is like warm and natural is probably no a good choice as it gets stiff
Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 AM

I was a diehard hand quilter...I've now gone to 'the dark side' and taken up machine quilting and am loving it. There are endless reasons why quilts appeal to us and to say how it should be quilted is verging on the job of the quilt police . I think we all have a place in this world of quilting, and this is just one more aspect to explore or not, based on personal tastes and satisfying ones own need for artistic expression. Colour is a big deal for me when deciding if I like a quilt or not. It could be the most technical, intricately pieced quilt, but if it doesn't appeal to my colour taste, I will pass it over, just as an example. I've been working on trying my hand at some of the more dense quilting designs and am enjoying the challenge it presents and just adds another element of interest to my quilting addiction . I am finding that the quilts are a little stiff, but want to try some different batting to see what happens. I'm just having fun!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 AM

I, too, marvel at the beauty of the machine quilting that modern machines have made possible. I think of these quilts as works of art, not necessarily intended for traditional use.

The important thing, I think, is to determine what type of quilting would best enhance a quilt top, be it ornate or simple, and keeping in mind its intended use.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM

I love dense quilting, particularly when it expands the boundaries that piecing creates. Judi Madsen (Green Fairy Quilts) is amazing. I admire her work so much! To me, quilts are works of art, and all aspects are part of the final product-- piecing, backing, quilting. Everything. I am learning as I go and hope someday to have the vision it takes to create beautiful work.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I have seen a few quilts that I liked but a few pastel that were heavily quilted and took away from the pattern of the quilt like Dresden, Hunter's Star. Patterns I couldn't make out because of being heavily quilted. I still marvel at every quilt I see and come across the time and love and skill and care. And the speed at which some of these "artists" whip these pieces out. I'm amazed at their motivation.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:39 AM

I did not like machine quilting, but now after seeing so many wonderful machine quiltied quilts I've grown to love them. I have to say that some of them do look over-quilted to me. I often think that some of those heavily quilted quilts will never be used on a bed as they seem more artistic and made to hang. Sort of like when I buy a painting...does it go in the bathroom or in the living room?