Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
changing my way of thinking >

changing my way of thinking

changing my way of thinking

Old 08-30-2014, 06:55 AM

It took a long time (years - actually decades) of admiring quilts before I became a quilter. I started paying attention to the quilted designs and began to see how they would enhance the design if done right. Then I began appreciating the "custom" or freehand quilting over a computer programming design. About the same time I entered in the world of the vintage machines and doing my own fmq on my dm. Yes, our tastes in quilting do change. I guess it's good there's room for all different tastes in the type and amount of quilting.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 AM

I just think that your own quilts should be the way that You like them and I have never been bothered about the opinions of others or even if they have made their opinions more accommodating because in the end it doesn't matter. Therefore, to answer your question: I haven't changed my opinion.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:21 AM

I love both styles and have done both. I feel that a quilt top will tell you how it should be quilted if you study it enough before quilting. That may be the artist in me but that is the way I decide how it should be quilted. When I want real soft quilt I tie it.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:47 AM

I think that we have to choose either dense or light quilting according to the quilt. If I have put many hours into an intricate quilt pattern, I would not want the quilting to be prominent. If I have a simpler quilt that needs a 'little extra' I might choose a heavier quilting pattern.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alapoint3 View Post
Green Fairy Quilts is where I fell in love with the dense quilting. It is the combination of vibrant colors and quilting that caught my attention
Sorry most people misunderstood your original question: What have you changed you mind about liking in quilting, that you didn't used to like? The thread has turned into a heavy quilting vs. lighter quilting discussion.

Or am I the one who misunderstood?

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 08-30-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM

[QUOTE=sewbizgirl;6866425]Sorry most people misunderstood your original question: What have you changed you mind about liking in quilting, that you didn't used to like? The thread has turned into a heavy quilting vs. lighter quilting discussion.

Or am I the one who misunderstood?[/QU

No one has misunderstood. What I didn't like was the heavy quilting which I felt would make a stiff unyielding quilt. It wasn't until I stepped back and saw the beauty and art in these quilts that I was able to realize that there are many types and purposes in quilting. I believe that it was just further growth for me.These posts have been wonderful.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 AM

I agree that over-quilting can sometimes be over-done, but many of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen were over-quilted. I hope I can be that skilled one day. Right now I have a hard enough time working on a 3/4" scale. Working to get down to 1/2" and still have the quilting look nice and even.
A 2013 MQX winner, Bethanne Nemesh, had this beautiful scene of the quilter on a beach with her children in the center block. It was absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see what they have next month! It is so amazing to see people create scenes with a cut of fabric and some thread.

One thing about which I'm changing my mind is the use of batik fabrics in quilts. I always felt like batiks should be used for clothes, not for bedding, but now I've started to use them a bit for natural elements in my quilts & find I quite like them. Thank goodness for all the creative people in the quilting world willing to experiment and combine elements in new and innovative ways! Our craft is richer for them.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 PM

Sometimes I think the beautiful heavier quilting takes away from the pieced quilt top, and sometimes not. Although I love some of the heavier or medium quilting patterns, they are gorgeous, I think I still prefer lighter quilting that shows off the pieced quilt top that so much time and work went into.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 AM

Have to say I prefer minimal quilting thereby enhancing the piecing and design. Have a book I love from Amazon called "Quilting Designs from the Past" by Jenny Carr Kinney that includes 300+ designs from 1840-1940 that I just love. The simpler designs are mostly the early one's but still can be used effectively in large spaces.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:39 AM

Oops! Should have said from 1810 to 1940.