Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: chart for backing fabric?

chart for backing fabric?

any know if there is a chart to figure out how much fabric you need for a QUILT BACKING? like a king ,queen, full, baby and so on..

I know I should just sit and figure out how much fabric I need by how big my quilts are but if I had a chat I wouldn.t have to taxs my brain so much ..LOL

I know how to figure it out but sometimes my poor brain just doesn't want to work..LOL

twin if 80x112 6.3/4 for long arm 44" fabric
    full & queen 96x 112 10.1/4 "
    king 120x120 10 .2/3 "

how big should a lap quilt be?

Unless I am making a crib size quilt I measure the length of the quilt + 10" and double it. I cut that in half - seam it and then add 10" to the width and cut off the excess on both sides of the width...I often use that left over fabric to bind it. There is a handy booklet I have called: The quilter's Pocket Reference by Peggy Scholley. It has lots good information about how to figure quilting sizes.

Thank you ladyof2....... I will print off this and keep it for later uses..

treasureit I will have to look for that book and see if I can find it.... Thanks so much for your help..now my brain can rest...woohoo

If you have a smartphone or iPod, there is a free app from Robert Kaufmann that helps with that kind of thing. Also, I've gotten several cards in the mail with the backing info. They come when you subscribe to a magazine. If I could find one of them I'd send it to you, but I usally end up sticking them in a book as a bookmark and forgetting where they are!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Agree that the Quilter's Pocket Reference is a good resource - not only for quilt backing but lots of other things. And thanks LynnVT for the tip about the iPhone app.....
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Power Poster
    Seems to me that measuring the top first would be the best place to start figuring out how much backing one would need.

From what I've read, length plus 10 inches and width plus 10 inches if the quilt is going to be sent to a long armer to be quilted

Example:

Top is 80 x 90

Backing should be 90 x 100

How one achieves that 90 x 100 can be any number of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyof2 View Post
    how big should a lap quilt be?
    That really varies, I think. I always try to make mine at least 50 X 72 but I like them to be a little larger than that usually. My theory is better too large rather than too small.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca