Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay??? >

Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Old 01-18-2014, 10:00 AM

Default Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

I've often thought it might be fun to sell quilts on either Etsy or Ebay, but when I see prices for full sized quilts selling for maybe $25.00 over the cost of materials it amazes me.

Why would someone spend say $75.00 for fabric, and spend upwards of 40 hours to create a quilt and sell it for $100.00? That gives them about 60 cents per hour for their time. I don't understand some of these selling prices. While I've seen some of these quilts look extremely poor quality, I've seen just as many beautiful quilts selling for next to nothing.

I know a lot of non-quilters who have no clue how much time and resources go into a quilt and would drop their jaw if I gave them a quote of even $200 for a lap quilt. Their point of reference would be the $19.99 manufactured bed cover they can buy at Target or Wal-Mart.

I've made several T-shirt quilts on commission locally, but not on-line yet. Now that I feel reasonably confident in my long-arm skills, I will probably increase my prices. An average t-shirt quilt takes me about 15-20 hours to measure, prep, cut and assemble all of the shirts and sashing pieces. About 4-5 hours to do an all-over meander stitch on my long-arm. About 6 hours to attach the binding my machine, and hand-stitch it to the back of the quilt. With a total hours of 25-30, I multiply that by $10.00 (minimum) and add in the cost of materials. For cost of materials, I always use full retail prices, even if I had a coupon and got it at a discount. My quilts usually finish out around 65-72" by 75-82". I've been charging $320, and want to increase this to about $350-$360. I also make a coordinating pillow case for each quilt that can be used to either store the quilt in, or put on a pillow to be used. I kind of think my prices are pretty cheap for what goes into them, until I start scrolling through Etsy or Ebay.

Knowing the time and cost of making a t-shirt quilt, I'm always shocked when I see someone on Etsy offering to make one for under $150.00. There's no way to compete with those prices, and I would rather give mine away then sell them for such ridiculous prices.

I'd be curious in any thoughts regarding pricing on Etsy and Ebay with regard to selling quilts.

Thanks,
Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Maybe these people just like to quilt but don't want the finished product when they are done?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:31 AM

Sometimes I think people buy hand made quilts made in China and resell them. Regardless, the price of a quilt does reflect the quality of workmanship and difficulty in making it. Frankly, people like to get good stuff without paying the price for it.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM

sometimes the material and stuff is given to them and they just make the quilt
Old 01-18-2014, 10:46 AM

If that seller wants to undervalue their work, that's on them, no ones getting mine for that cheap. Fabric is so expensive these days.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 AM

i don't know what the answers are, but if i were a universal overlord it would stop.

sometimes they are being sold for less than what it would cost me in materials here.

so irritating. and no, i don't want to hear about how it's their choice. it undermines the value of everyone's work. full stop.

aileen
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM

There will always be someone who works for less. Always.

Every country has their immigrants who will work for less because they are "hungry". It is all over the world.

It is possible that sometimes people are faster than others. For example, maybe it doesn't take everyone 15-20 hours to prepare the t-shirts/sashings for the top of the quilt. Maybe it takes them 5-6.

Just like some will work for less, there are always people who develop their skills and work faster than others--and maybe even they are equally good.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
i don't know what the answers are, but if i were a universal overlord it would stop.

sometimes they are being sold for less than what it would cost me in materials here.

so irritating. and no, i don't want to hear about how it's their choice. it undermines the value of everyone's work. full stop.

aileen
Now tell us what you really think! :
Old 01-18-2014, 11:32 AM

I agree with Aileen that it undermines the value of everyone's work. So sad.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I have a different take on it. If you're not making quilts as a business, you are probably doing it because you enjoy the process. Once a quilt is finished, the money for fabric has been spent and the time you spent making it is gone, never to be recovered. It would be nice to be able to sell the quilt for what you have invested, but it's rarely possible to do so. After all, if everyone could get paid a reasonable wage for indulging in their hobby, how many people would have outside jobs? When a quilt is finished, you may decide that you would rather have a little money (to pay rent, buy food, pay for insurance, help out a relative, donate to charity, buy more fabric... whatever) than keep the quilt. You're not really selling your quilt-making services, as you would be doing if you were making a quilt on consignment. Instead you're exchanging an already-made quilt for some money. It may not be a good deal from a business sense - but you still may feel that you're better off with the money than with the quilt. I don't think it cheapens your labor, which you actually spent doing something you loved. And I don't fault people who don't see the value we do in quilts. It's our hobby and obsession, not theirs.