Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Etsy vs Ebay >

Etsy vs Ebay

Etsy vs Ebay

Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM

I am thinking abouut listing some things on Etsy. I already have an Ebay store that fairs well, just curious as to what people look for on Etsy? Any thoughts or has anyone had experience? Please, I need opinions..and I love the opinions of the pros on here :)
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewhappy_5
I am thinking abouut listing some things on Etsy. I already have an Ebay store that fairs well, just curious as to what people look for on Etsy? Any thoughts or has anyone had experience? Please, I need opinions..and I love the opinions of the pros on here :)
I've never been able to figure out Etsy, and so don't go there. It's much more confusing than Ebay. Plus, the Paypal option makes Ebay much easier. In addition I like that I can save searches, etc.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM

I buy things on Etsy frequently. It is more like an online store... no bidding. I have always used paypal to purchase things on Etsy.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 PM

I think ebay gets way more traffic than etsy. I've never bought anything via etsy.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM

Well I guess theres the old saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" :)
Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Ebay probably does get more traffic than Etsy, but Etsy is growing by leaps and bounds. I sold handmade name doilies on Ebay for several years then switched over to Etsy. I like that fact that on Etsy items are a set price and their fees are lower also. I'd say keep your Ebay store and add an Etsy shop. That way you can have the benefits of both!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 PM

There is also artfire.com and ecrater.com
Old 06-20-2011, 12:57 PM

The only thing I find with Etsy is that there are so many people selling the same thing it's hard to choose. You can search for one thing and get 75-1?? items come up and they are in no specific order. (End time, price etc...) I have purchased off Etsy before and you can use paypal as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Etsy is more of a boutique, while eBay is a garage sale. PayPal, including the use of credit cards through PayPal, is widely used on Etsy. And while some call it confusing, it really isn't if you explore for a little bit...the same could be said for any large website, even this one.

People come to Etsy looking mostly for handcrafted goods, but they can also find supplies and vintage items for sale. You do have to market your shop to get the full advantage, but the community network makes it very easy and enjoyable.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM

[quote=ghostrider]Etsy is more of a boutique, while eBay is a garage sale. PayPal, including the use of credit cards through PayPal, is widely used on Etsy. And while some call it confusing, it really isn't if you explore for a little bit...the same could be said for any large website, even this one.

That is a really good description of the differences between Etsy & Ebay. I have shopped at both, and Etsy is pricier, but more unique items.