Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling on Etsy >

Selling on Etsy

Selling on Etsy

Old 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM

I am considering selling my quilts on Etsy. Has anyone else done this? What kind of results did you have?

Janie
Old 09-04-2008, 04:45 PM

Well, I'm really of no help to you, but I have considered opening a store there, too. Every time I go there to find out more info, I just get hooked on looking LOOKING looking at all the stuff! Have you looked at similar things on there like you would be selling to see how it sells or has sold? that's what I do. Then, I end up with more ideas of things to make. When I get both kids in school (not wishing the baby away. :( He goes next fall :( ), I'm going to make lots of things to sell!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM

I have had itefms on ETSY for over a year now. I keep adding different things and I have only sold 1 thing (and that was this week). I am not sure what is wrong... I see many people that have sold hundreds of items. I wish there was a feedback section (not for when you buy or sell) that people could tell you what is wrong w/ your stuff and why they won't buy. I wish I had a better turn out. I just don't understand....

Here is my link if you want to get some ideas.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5232735

If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Hi Melissa - I looked at your shop and many others. I don't see anything really "wrong" with your items, except that maybe they are for a really specific "taste". The right buyer has not found you yet, I think. Do you go on the gallery, etc? I am not sure how it all works, because I only just looked for the first time tonight. Marketing usually helps, as well as going with trends in decorating. Try looking in some country style magazines for ideas for items. I made a mini quilt for my quilt guild raffle after seeing a similar one in a decorating magazine, and it got lots of response. Just a suggestion! Good luck, and don't give up!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by MelissaK
I have had itefms on ETSY for over a year now. I keep adding different things and I have only sold 1 thing (and that was this week). I am not sure what is wrong... I see many people that have sold hundreds of items. I wish there was a feedback section (not for when you buy or sell) that people could tell you what is wrong w/ your stuff and why they won't buy. I wish I had a better turn out. I just don't understand....

Here is my link if you want to get some ideas.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5232735

If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it!
Melissa,
I have checked out your etsy store. You have a lot of nice things on there. Sometimes it is hard to get started. You could add your link to your store in your signature here, in your e-mails, etc. I don't see anything wrong with your items. They look very nice. Have you tried selling on eBay? I don't know if it costs more, but it may bring you more luck. I don't know! I hope you sell it all, though! :D
Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 AM

I think the biggest sellers on Etsy started out on Ebay and have a huge client base. There is one lady who sells on Ebay and Etsy (materialgirlchic)I think is her webname. She is now even selling on a private website she has set up. Her daughters and husband help out also. I found this out as she sent out a ton of emails to announce all this. So maybe check her out on ebay and see how she does it. Good luck :):)
Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks ladies! I have tried ebay, but everyone is looking for things cheap. Also the fees that ebay charges are a lot more than etsy. At least I still have my craft fairs!!! Hopefully people are willing to spend money this fall w/ the economy the way it is.