Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemo Comfort Quilt Question >

Chemo Comfort Quilt Question

Chemo Comfort Quilt Question

Old 06-15-2015, 12:39 PM

I'm an Ovarian Cancer survivor...will be 6 years end of July. I can tell you I froze after each chemo tratment. At the same time I sweat buckets. I wrapped my self in a fleece blanket I had made prior to my surgery/chemo. It was very long, so I could tuck my feet in it & I put arms in it, so I wouldn't have to uncover to reach for anything. I also made it long enough to pull up over my face. Yep my face was cold too. I only had my eyes sticking out for a few days after each treatment. I would think anything you make her will be a grateful gift.

I would prewash & dry the flannel, as it shrinks a lot. You can layer it or add batting, what ever is not too heavy. Chemo causes bone pain & your skin can hurt too. When you have it al done I'd wash/dry it so any chemicals will be washed out prior to her using it.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 PM

I'm an Ovarian Cancer survivor...will be 6 years end of July. I can tell you I froze after each chemo tratment. At the same time I sweat buckets. I wrapped my self in a fleece blanket I had made prior to my surgery/chemo. It was very long, so I could tuck my feet in it & I put arms in it, so I wouldn't have to uncover to reach for anything. I also made it long enough to pull up over my face. Yep my face was cold too. I only had my eyes sticking out for a few days after each treatment. I would think anything you make her will be a grateful gift. Your quilt is nice & cheery. Love the colors.

I would prewash & dry the flannel, as it shrinks a lot. You can layer it or add batting, what ever is not too heavy. Chemo causes bone pain & your skin can hurt too. When you have it al done I'd wash/dry it so any chemicals will be washed out prior to her using it.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 AM

I have used fleece for a back and like that. Don't really need a batt. It's lightweight and quite warm.

Perhaps consider making the quilt as a quillo so there is the pocket to utilize for folding/foot pocket/storage pocket.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:32 AM

When your sick, your cold. So now that your friend is sick and will be undergoing treatments, she will be moving around even less. So she will be very cold all the time. Flannel is great for the backing, but yes you do need batting. Make it something like "Warm & White or Warm & Natural", low loft batting.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I agree. What a bright and cheerful quilt you made.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:51 AM

My DH went through Chemo and Radiation and was forever cold. I would definitely use batting and not worry about it being to warm. Bless you for doing this for a person in need
Old 06-16-2015, 08:24 AM

My mother passed away from ovarian cancer several years ago. She also was very cold but could not tolerate anything heavy. Your quilt top is beautiful and cherry, I would purchase some nice polar fleece then use it as the backing and batting so your quilt will remain light but nice and snuglley warm. I also had made a quilt using wool batting that was very light weight and warm in the winter yet cool in the summer she used that as well. Prayers for you and your friend she needs your friendship now more than ever since so many people tend to pull away from friends who are ill.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:44 AM

my mother just went thru chemo, her first treatment she got super cold. They had 4 hot blankets on her and two more around her shoulders. After a year of chemo she still stays cold. Before chemo she was always was hot. Has a ct scan to see how things are. I want to do a special quilt or wall hanging for the cancer center. The nurses and doctors there were great.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I have always heard that Chemo patients complain about feeling cold all the time, so I would go with a W&N batting and the flannel on the back should be good, I think it would help keep the quilt from slipping down while sitting. I wish your friend well and that she gets better soon.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:29 AM

I sew for " Victoria's Quilts " that donate quilts to anyone diagnosed with cancer --will be 50,000 after the new year .this is in all Canada groups. Anyway we must use all cotton --top, batting and flannel backing. Our quilts are about 54 x 72 in size usually for adults.