Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemo Comfort Quilt Question >

Chemo Comfort Quilt Question

Chemo Comfort Quilt Question

Old 06-16-2015, 07:47 PM

Recently did a quilt with wool bat and would suggest it--it's light weight, it's warm and yet breathes. and quilts like a dream.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 AM

In addition to adding warmth the batting will prevent seeing the backing through the top of quilt especially with so much white in your top.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:41 AM

Very good idea to put pockets for things he wants nearby without having to reach for them.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 AM

Thank You, huskyquilter. I know this wasn't your intention, but my DH is staring Chemo the 22nd and we didn't even think about his needing a quilt. Great suggestion of need. He will be sent with one to use...... I hope your friend does well and that the quilt will be perfect!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:45 AM

Thank you all so much for the support and advice! This board really is amazing! My friend is a guy, he met his wife almost the same time as I met my husband, so the 4 of us were pretty close before we moved. I picked a flannel that is plaid, yellow, blue, and orange, and went with the lightest weight quilters dream cotton (wow it's soft compared to hobbs!). It's a bright quilt for a man, but he's know for wearing these wild paisley dress shirts, so I thought it was fitting, plus who doesn't love some color in a treatment center? I pre-washed and dried the flannel yesterday, and got it sandwiched last night. The nice thing about the quilter's dream is that it allows quilting every 8 inches. It just so happens, the blocks are 8"! So I can SID and get the quilting done quickly (hopefully by tomorrow night), and get it sent out asap. The finished size will be 64 x 80 and I'll post a pic when done. If I have enough extra flannel, I'll add a pocket or two as well.

Any thoughts about what to include on the note? I want them to know it's okay to take to the treatment and use, wash, and abuse (for lack of a better word)... Mornigstar, is there something you usually enclose with your donation quilts?

When I wash it before I sent it to him, can I use detergent? To prewash the flannel, I used arm & hammer free and clear, no dyes, no fragrances, etc. Would that be alright?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:51 AM

I have made several and back them with minky or a good fleece with no batting. Seems to work well and not too heavy.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 AM

For chemo quilts, I always use wool. It is light weight and warm. It is also more comfortable in hot and/or humid weather because it "breathes".
Old 06-17-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
I sew for " Victoria's Quilts " that donate quilts to anyone diagnosed with cancer --will be 50,000 after the new year .this is in all Canada groups. Anyway we must use all cotton --top, batting and flannel backing. Our quilts are about 54 x 72 in size usually for adults.
I've donated to this one too! In fact, I requested one when my DH got cancer, they were so overloaded with requests, he passed in august, quilt came in december 2011. It stayed in one of my dresser drawers until just a couple months ago, I sent it and some quilt tops to them, I had never used it. I spoke with the lady that heads that program, Deborah Rogers, and she told me I could just send the tops if I wanted to and they would finish them. Not ignoring the OP, asked about note to include, I always liked the "What Cancer Cannot Do" Cancer is so limited.....It cannot cripple love, shatter hope, corrode faith, destroy peace, kill friendship, suppress memories, silence courage, invade the soul, steal eternal life, conquer the Spirit.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:56 PM

I love these bright colors. I too am taking chemo and my BFF made me aquilt and it is light weight and I love to wrap up in it on the couch. Your friend is going to love this.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 AM

I made a quilt for a friend that was going thru treatment the same time I did - neither of us liked being reminded we were going thru cancer treatment so the quilt I made her had no pink in it and my note said this quilt is to be used anywhere and every where she needed to feel a warm hug. It was okay to take it anywhere she wanted and if she wanted to have her kitty or puppy to cuddle with her that was okay too. She has survived her second round of treatment but her husband passed along the way - she said she still uses that quilt when she needs a warm hug.