Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
choosing fabric for next project >

choosing fabric for next project

choosing fabric for next project

Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 PM

The main thing for picking for me is I try not to mix sharp shapes with a hard outline with soft, blurry outlines. For that reason, I wouldn't put the flowery purple with the squares. But that's what I like, and others mix and match. Also, be prepared for fabrics that you would not think go together to be fine once the quilt is together. That's what I call a pleasant surprise. I think it's because there are so many other factors like ratio. So you never know! And if you don't like it, you can always cut it up for potholders!
Old 03-11-2016, 04:10 AM

I would take out either the paisley or the square print. I, also, take a long time picking out my fabrics. I will lay them out together where I can see them and look at them for several days until they feel right. A lot of times I don't pick out my borders until I get the top put together.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:22 AM

Welcome to the board. You will learn so much just by reading the comments. So many have such wonderful talent and are so willing to share. Sharon
Old 03-11-2016, 05:43 AM

Whatever you decide, I hope you have fun with it! Enjoy the process and if you wouldn't put certain combinations together again, it can still be beautiful.

If you are new to quilting, I hope you have discovered the free patterns available online from various fabric companies and online stores such as Connecting Threads, and, of course, Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorials. I'm sure others can add many more sites to check.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:07 AM

I was buying some fabric at Joanns one day and had my quilt magazine with me. I was getting it cut and the young girl at the table ask me what I was going to do with the fabric. I showed her the picture of the quilt I was making. She said "but that quilt is blue and red and you are buying green and yellow. Can you change the colors if you want to?"
Old 03-11-2016, 04:30 PM

I don't have a problem with your color choice - but I do have a couple concerns. As stated, stripes can be great and terrible at the same time. Make sure you plan a bit and have them going the same way. One idea is to cut them diagonally for a neat effect, just be careful because it is a bias cut. The other concern is the pink with small squares. This will depend on the block you decide to create. I would use this in a very small way. Like the idea of the small center square of a log cabin or the size of a cornerstone in sashing (I don't mean to use them like that, just trying to give you an idea of the small use of that fabric). BUT, having said that, one of the important things about fabric choice is that you like the fabrics. It keeps the process fun. We have all made odd choices of fabric combos, but that is how we learn.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

The best way I have found when beginning a project is to pick a main focus fabric, then pull fabrics that work with the colors, usually using the little dots on the selvedge is a good way to pick colors, so you know they will work. Try to use a light, medium and dark; most people have more medium fabrics and few very dark fabrics. I think you're off to a good start with these. I might pull in the white/beige color in the print on the left as a background, as that is fairly neutral. I hope this has helped you.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:45 PM

I do think all your colors go together, I think it is only the patterns on the fabrics some are questioning. I love scrappy quilts so perhaps am more tolerant of mixing patterns. I wouldn't hesitate to use your fabrics together.
I do agree that the pattern you finally decide on will have a lot to do with your final choices. I admire your willingness to try new things. Just don't be discouraged if it doesn't come easily at first. Try try again!!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:17 PM

Have you thought of pinwheels? So many ways to mix and match blades with backgrounds. I would add that cantaloupe color in the multi squares to this batch, plus a very pale pink as a neutral, a royal blue, and a raspberry tone on tone that matches the background of the squares print. Remember light and dark are relative to what they're next to. A pastel is Darker than a white but lighter than, say, Jewel tones. Hope that helps. I try to avoid stripes but sometimes they are perfect playmates.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 AM

At the end I started my small project! I took off the paisley because it didn't fit in. I put in a big accent of light orange. Maybe it is not "conventional" but I think it express what I want to "communicate" with this project.
I am working on my vision of the I Ching...so I like the idea of contrasting colors. I still have to applique the tao to the main part and to applique small string of the same black on each segment following the I Ching model (http://www.professionalfengshui.com/...09/i-ching.gif )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544690[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544691[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544692[/ATTACH]

I know it looks all croocked but I still have to trim it and press..and the picture is taken from my wall ( I should have pin it properly)

What do you think? I tried for the first time curve cut and applique ( at the moment I only appliqued the 2 circles in the tao, but I will applique the Tao itself so...at least I made exercise...
Attached Thumbnails 20160313_174017.bmp   20160313_183715.bmp   20160313_192648-1-.bmp