Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Complex Piecing Issue. >

Complex Piecing Issue.

Complex Piecing Issue.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:36 PM

Default Complex Piecing Issue.

Hi, Everyone,

I began a quilt last weekend at a workshop at the Modern Quilt Convention in Pasadena (it was wonderful--if you ever have a chance to go, I highly recommend it). I'm really excited about a quilt I began, but I've come across a complex problem that's over my skill level. Can you help?

The quilt is based on an antique trivet I found in my mother's basement. I'm attaching a picture of it here. It reminds me of a Frank Lloyd Wright design and I love it.

What I love about the design is that the symmetry of the squares is disrupted in the upper righthand corner. I'm almost finished with the nested series of squares in the middle (conceptually, that was simple). Now I'm ready to tackle the upper righthand corner, but I'm not quite sure how to piece it. In particular, I'm stumped by the narrow horizontal lines that run perpendicular to the left side and bottom side of that upper right hand corner. Should I overlay the narrower horizontal lines over the side and bottom of the square and appliqué? Is this a situation where I should consider foundation piecing (which I've never tackled, but this might be my opportunity)? Are there other techniques out there I should consider?

Any advice by the experts here would be much, much appreciated! Also, I struggled to describe my challenge with as much clarity as possible--if it's still difficult to understand or if you all need me to post pictures of what I've done so far (not much), I'm happy to do so. Just didn't want to inundate with TOO much information!

Thank you all!

Fondly,
A
Attached Thumbnails trivet.jpg  
Old 02-25-2016, 07:45 PM
dd

Did you graph it out on graph paper first? That's what I would have started with. Paper piece is definitely a possibility but I don't think you have to go that way. If I graph it out I can usually figure it out.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:49 PM

Yes, I would recommend graph paper too. I recently designed a complicated pieced quilt, and I ended up with squares and rectangles and had to partially piece seams. It's like a big puzzle. You can do it!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 PM

I can't really help you but I would be very interested in seeing the end results. Hope you can get it figured out it, looks like it will make a very neat quilt.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:30 PM

Ditto on the graph paper. Draw out the trivet on graph paper where each square represents some measurement. I try for 1 square = 1". That way I can see the divisions clearly. I love the pattern of the trivet - can't wait to see it finished. It will be a great quilt.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:23 PM

I was also going to say draw it on graph paper and you will see how they click.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:55 AM

Love this design. Can't wait to see your finished project. Are you going for a wallhanging size?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:40 AM

Wonderful inspiration for a modern quilt. I also recommend graph paper. Or, go to a copy center when they aren't super busy and have them place your trivet on the machine and copy it and blow it up to the size you want. Then, you can cut it apart, label the pieces, add the seam allowances to the pieces and sew it together in an awesome piece of quilted art. I have done this with applique images and I can see no reason it wouldn't work out nicely for your project.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

If you can't figure out the seam lines for regular piecing, foundation piecing isn't going to do it. I think I would go with piecing the squares, then applique the 2 horizontal and vertical elements. The only other option is to graph it out as suggested, then piece in small squares & rectangles. This will probably add a lot of extra seams, however. I'm not sure how that would look when joined to the center section you have already completed.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I just finished piecing a simple maze and you really need to have a plan drawn out and know what order to sew the pieces together. If you are able to draft out the pattern, I would suggest you make a copy and then start sub-cutting it into sections to discover the order of piecing your quilt together. Good Luck!