View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 07:36 PM
asabrinao

Default Complex Piecing Issue.

Hi, Everyone,

I began a quilt last weekend at a workshop at the Modern Quilt Convention in Pasadena (it was wonderful--if you ever have a chance to go, I highly recommend it). I'm really excited about a quilt I began, but I've come across a complex problem that's over my skill level. Can you help?

The quilt is based on an antique trivet I found in my mother's basement. I'm attaching a picture of it here. It reminds me of a Frank Lloyd Wright design and I love it.

What I love about the design is that the symmetry of the squares is disrupted in the upper righthand corner. I'm almost finished with the nested series of squares in the middle (conceptually, that was simple). Now I'm ready to tackle the upper righthand corner, but I'm not quite sure how to piece it. In particular, I'm stumped by the narrow horizontal lines that run perpendicular to the left side and bottom side of that upper right hand corner. Should I overlay the narrower horizontal lines over the side and bottom of the square and appliqué? Is this a situation where I should consider foundation piecing (which I've never tackled, but this might be my opportunity)? Are there other techniques out there I should consider?

Any advice by the experts here would be much, much appreciated! Also, I struggled to describe my challenge with as much clarity as possible--if it's still difficult to understand or if you all need me to post pictures of what I've done so far (not much), I'm happy to do so. Just didn't want to inundate with TOO much information!

Thank you all!

Fondly,
A
Attached Thumbnails trivet.jpg