Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting complex

Am I the only one who hesitates to cut fabric? It's like I just don't want to cut into that pretty piece of fabric for some reason. lol, yeah I'm a little crazy.
    And am I the only one who doesn't really much enjoy that part of quilting... the cutting?

You are not alone. I have had some beautiful fabrics for years because I just couldn't bring myself to cut them.....

Not me, I can't wait to cut it up and see the finished project. :lol:

I like to stare at my fabric and caress it :) :) :)

Blog Entries
    Barb M
    You touch my heart.

awe :)

I hate to cut my Japanese fabrics. This is because most of them have such large designs on them that would be lost if cut into smaller pieces. I'm searching for a quilt pattern that will show them off.
    Rebecca
    http://www.quilterscrossroads.com

I've had the same problem sometimes and I'm sure you're not the only one.

I'm the same way-

I love to pull out my stash and stroke the fabric. And I have 2 "collections" I need to make quilts from, but they are so pretty I'm worried I will cut it wrong.

Rebecca- I have a Japanese panel and some coordinates- same thing- looking for the "right" pattern. Maybe we need to make a thread for help with pics of our fabrics and someone can help us.

Until then, got some really cool Christmas fabs on sale yesterday at LQS. After stroking gently, I plunged in and cut them into strips for FDIL to make stockings and I made 2 sets of the cute criss cross coasters on another thread. Have enough to make some tablerunners and a few more coasters.

I love the quality of quilt shop fabric! (Am I a fabric snob?)

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    I like to stare at my fabric and caress it :) :) :)
    Yep, me too. And we aren't the only ones. The next time you are at a quilt store watch the other ladies who are shopping. Every last one of them will reach out to caress the bolts of fabric. It's like we simply cannot help ourselves, we must reach out and fondle the beautiful fabrics. :wink:
    Piece ~ Tiffany

I can't browse a quilt shop without touching the fabric.

I have seen 2 beautiful quilts that use big print. I have them in my stash of patterns I will look through them and give the names of the mags and the pattern names.

Yeah fondling fabric that really embarassed David at Joannes aske me if I wanted to buy something someone else had drooled and fondled ...YES cuz it was the quilters love being passed on to me.... OK I know its the pain meds making me weirder than noraml

Quote Originally Posted by MsSage
    I have seen 2 beautiful quilts that use big print. I have them in my stash of patterns I will look through them and give the names of the mags and the pattern names.

Yeah fondling fabric that really embarassed David at Joannes aske me if I wanted to buy something someone else had drooled and fondled ...YES cuz it was the quilters love being passed on to me.... OK I know its the pain meds making me weirder than noraml
    I sure wouldn't let a little drool stop me from buying a fabric once I fell in love with it. Heck, they all wash. :lol:
    Piece ~ Tiffany

No, I love to cut the fabric, I get a buzz out of seeing the piles of perfect squares mount up as I cut many layers, and knowing that I am almost ready to start piecing! I guess I am strange, the uncut ppieces of fabric to me are a pain, I have to wash them, cut off any frayed bit, iron it, grrr what a pain. Once its cut at least it is starting to become useful and ready to be transformed!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I just love to pet fabric. And, like you ...I'm always scared to make that first cut, but after that....boy...look out! I go to town!

For those who are looking for patterns for fabric that has a big print, I have two books I'd like to recommend.

Big 'n Easy by Judy Hopkins
    Lickety-Split Quilts by Laurie Bevan

Published thru Martingale Publishing but I found them at the Half Price Bookstore for under $7 each. Just a thought.