Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas quilts >

Christmas quilts

Christmas quilts

Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Christmas quilts

I have 10 grandchildren and I would like to make them each a quilt for Christmas this year. I would like to make them each different so I am looking for different patterns ( free ones hopefully) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! I bought lots of Christmas fabric this year so scrappy or not is fine.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:50 AM

I used a free Square Dance 10" pattern from Pinterest for one of the Grandsons and a Bento Box for the next one.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 AM

I had a ton of Christmas fabrics I'd collected through the years and decided that it's time to use them up. I'm making six lap quilts, all the same design. Everything that was one yard or under, I cut into 5 1/2" squares and cut a background fabric into squares. So far I've used white, ecru and yellow for backgrounds. I alternate the squares and set them on point. I use a different fabric, usually with the larger prints, for a border. They look surprisingly different with the change in backgrounds and borders. I have three tops made and pin basted, ready to put on a hoop and quilt. They came out to about 62" or 64" square. I knew if I tried to make them all different with patterns, I'd end up dithering over details and wondering if someone would think theirs wasn't as nice or fancy as the others. That was just me, the kids wouldn't think that way. I'm glad I chose the simple way, though. Those tops made up quick and easy.

Look at the picture in the Quilting Ideas Needed thread to see how my quilts look. It's the same design as mine.

Last edited by IrishKaren; 02-12-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

wow, luvrazz, ambitious project
Old 02-12-2017, 10:44 AM

This sounds like so much fun! Do you have lots of 'novelty' prints? I'm always on the look-out for quilts that use novelty prints to good effects! Here's some ideas:

THis is a basic pattern, but I love the novelty prints in the centers of the squares.
https://silkroadlife.wordpress.com/2...uilt-tutorial/

I would also look at the 3-dudes-jelly roll quilt. Someone on this board (I believe) made a version in holiday that was wonderful! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixvjje310

This one isn't free, but I love this pattern for big novelty prints. I made a Halloween quilt from this pattern that I LOVE! http://www.fatquartershop.com/perfec...-quilt-pattern

And here's my quilt. It would be marvelous in holiday big novelty prints. Like big birds? Or snowmen?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568148[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 6tag_290117-210730.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 10:45 AM

There are many free patterns available on line and you may see something that catches your eye. Either google quilt blocks or go on pintrest and you may find something interesting. Also, if you have quilt magazines-they have good quilt patterns. Magazines is where I go searching for something new too. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:58 AM

I also have ten grandchildren and three daughters. I made 13 Christmas quilts and we played Dirty Santa and they each chose (or stole) a quilt. My patterns were: tumbler (I made two with different borders), quatrafoile, ornaments clothsworks.com), presents (Flurry by Kate Spain), twisted Christmas tree, pinwheel, trees and pinwheels (Jovial by basicgrey), spring rain, Christmas trees quilt (Laurie Matthews) , big tree ( Tinsel by Maudee Asbury) and two others I don't remember the patterns. All were free patterns. Good luck with your project.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:16 AM

I made Christmas quilts for all of our grandkids & GGK. I love appliqué so I made several quilts with different snowmen, one with trees, and 2 with penguins. You can see them here http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...lbums1097.html. Most of them were free patterns. If you are interested own any f them I can send you links to the patterns.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Many fabric manufacturers also offer free patterns on their websites.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:50 PM

Quilter's Cache has MANY patterns, of all kinds. Simple, complex, paper pieced, applique, small, large. Great way to spend an afternoon, looking at patterns.