Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clear?? thread

I wanted to try clear thread for machine quilting. I tried the nylon thread from Joannes and all it did was break in the machine. Any suggestions? What do you use in the bobbin?

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    I wanted to try clear thread for machine quilting. I tried the nylon thread from Joannes and all it did was break in the machine. Any suggestions? What do you use in the bobbin?
    Use regular thread. Don't try sewing with monofilament in your bobbin.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Use regular thread. Don't try sewing with monofilament in your bobbin.
    I used regular thread in the bobbin, the monofilament?clear/nylon thread kept breaking... I feel like a dunce.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use the clear thread from Quilt in a Day and regular thread in my bobbin. It works great for me.

You might try adjusting your tension and make sure that the thread is being pulled correctly from the spool. You know nice and smoothly.

Polyester monofilament is a better choice than nylon. I put the spool in a coffee cup behind the machine so it feeds nicely.

I first used the Jo Anns clear ... nothing but trouble. I use Superior or from Clotilde. Much better results. It is best to use regular thread in the bobbin, but I have gotten brave and used it for top and bottom a few times. It just a pain to wind a bobbin and keep it from stretching the clear thread.
    If you are quilting a darker color ... use the smoke colored it does not reflect as much light and is more invisable on the dark fabric.

I use Superior....much better than Joann's. And I am not usually a thread snob. Yes use the cup and quilting thread in the bobbin. This will cure 75% of your problems.

Blog Entries
    i use YLI monofilament top and bobbin. you have to wind the bobbin very slowly so you don't stretch the thread. have never had a problem as long as i don't sew at top speed. some machines just don't like this type of thread. good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    Polyester monofilament is a better choice than nylon. I put the spool in a coffee cup behind the machine so it feeds nicely.
    Ditto from me. Also sew slower. Any thread that likes to lash around (metallics especially) will do better in a jar or mug behind the sewing machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast